Menu

Phonics Road????

kbed0849

Ok. I searched to see if I could get a feel for thoughts on this. But, I did not seem to get answers. So, I am trying to get opinions on the Phonics Road program. I saw this at a convention and thought it looked like it was well planned and may be a good program for the long haul. But, my oldest two are already reading well. We used SSRW and Discovering Intensive Phonics. The author of phonics road and her husband insisted that you MUST start at level 1 and work forward. Even if you do level 1 really fast. The program is not cheap though. So, I would basically be buying 2 levels within months of each other. The only reason I would be buying it is because I think it looks like you would truly have a great foundation when you finished the 4 levels. Has anyone used this??? Honest thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I tend to over purchase curriculum. I have already purchased Phonetic Zoo A. We haven't started it yet.

Guest aquiverfull

Agreeing with what the others have said. It is an awesome program and we also had to start at level one going at an accelerated pace, so I had to put down a chunk of change for levels 1 and 2 earlier this spring. To me it was worth it, just so my dd would have that great foundation. It is a solid program and I won't have to worry about my children having any gaps. If you check the social group Tina mentioned you should find the info you are seeking. :)

Thanks to all who have replied. I will check the social group and start convincing my husband to spend more money!! We are still coming in less than sending one to private school! LOL!!! Thanks again! Kim

Edited by kbed0849

Anyone out there who can convince me NOT to buy this ????? It seems everyone loves it. I am going to pray about it and wait to see if anyone has anything less than positive to say. So, if anyone out there has anything negative please speak up!!! I am really bad about buying too much!! Once again, I would have to start at level 1 with kiddos who are already reading at 2-3rd grade level. Thanks again to all who have replied. I have been looking at the website and stuff all day!! Thanks again!

I guess I'll be the one who says it wasn't what I hoped it would be....I came from a reading program that taught word families and did All About Spelling. Tried PR but found it to not be set up like I expected. It's not like AAS where you cover a rule and then get words that fit that rule. It bounces around more like the spiral math does....so if your child and you learn well from that kind of format.....then it will work great for you. I'm more of the mastery kind of person so it was very confusing to me. I gave up and ended up with another program called Discovering Intensive Phonics and back to AAS. I think the program works great for some but I'm gonna sell mine and stick with other things. That is what is great about homeschooling.....there are many different curriculums out there as different things work for different people. Doesn't make it bad....I just realized more what kinds of things work best for my kids. Good luck making your decision.

Guest aquiverfull

I can think of one negative that a few of us have mentioned before. There is no written teacher's manual. You'll have to watch the DVDs for each week to teach your children the program. If you don't have a problem watching DVDs then this probably won't bother you. We started PR 1 in the spring but didn't get far and we stopped during the summer. We're supposed to start school tomorrow. Watching the DVDs is a major pain for me. I really wish she had it written all out. I don't enjoy watching DVDs, I just don't. I barely watch any movies. Finding the time with little ones is also difficult. PR is an AWESOME program but I'm starting to wonder if this is really a good fit for us. I guess I just need to suck it up, and watch the dvds....lol.

I can think of one negative that a few of us have mentioned before. There is no written teacher's manual. You'll have to watch the DVDs for each week to teach your children the program. .

It's not just that you have to watch the DVDs (which I really do not mind and actually enjoy), but you have to take extensive notes while watching. This means a lot of starting and stopping and writing and writing. I don't want to sit and write out pages and pages of notes.

They really need to create a teacher's manual that goes along with the DVDs.

Also, there's not a lot of information about what the program is going to cover or where it's going. Because everything is contained in the dvds, you really have no idea what all is going to be covered until you get there. I find this very frustrating. Yes, there is a completed log and you can view the words that you'll be working on and you can see the readers, but hopefully there's more than that...but what is it? I guess I won't know until we've completed it. Because of that, I'm continuing to use the other materials that I had because I don't know if PR will cover everything that I want covered.

Edited by Cindyz

It's not just that you have to watch the DVDs (which I really do not mind and actually enjoy), but you have to take extensive notes while watching. This means a lot of starting and stopping and writing and writing. I don't want to sit and write out pages and pages of notes.

They really need to create a teacher's manual that goes along with the DVDs.

Also, there's not a lot of information about what the program is going to cover or where it's going. Because everything is contained in the dvds, you really have no idea what all is going to be covered until you get there. I find this very frustrating. Yes, there is a completed log and you can view the words that you'll be working on and you can see the readers, but hopefully there's more than that...but what is it? I guess I won't know until we've completed it. Because of that, I'm continuing to use the other materials that I had because I don't know if PR will cover everything that I want covered.

The only notes I wrote where the Rule Tune # and to remind me about the building code. A few times I would write a sentence that she said but for the most part I didn't have to write too much.

Once you begin teaching you get the flow of things, you find your groove.

I do agree that it is kind of walking blind with where the program is going. This is why I like the SWR guide.

Phonics Road website does give an idea of what to expect. I printed out all the samples and the scope and sequence.

Guest aquiverfull

Zenz, yes I agree if it was all written out it would make watching the Dvds easier. I had to watch the Dvds two times. Once just to watch them and get an idea of how it will work, then the second time to take notes. Having to repeatedly pause and unpause is very annoying. Plus, since I was watching on my laptop, the fast forward button would either skip too much and I'd have to go back, or go too s.l.o.w. It would probably be much easier as far as control over the dvds with a regular remote. Also, I found that I had to take quite a bit of notes. I guess my brain just works better with things I can read. If I didn't take a lot of notes, I'm afraid I'll forgot to say something important. It might get easier as we go along and get into it more, I'm really hoping anyway. ;) I don't know, just the thought of having to watch the dvds is making me really dread the program at this point. I was even considering dropping it. But I know it's a solid program, it really is comprehensive and well done. I just think a teacher's manual would make it a lot more pleasant. I've seen people say that they don't think it could be written into a teacher's manual. I don't know, at this point I'd be happy with a direct transcript -word for word - of exactly what Mrs. Beers was saying on the dvds.

Linda, thanks for your input as well. It's nice to know that you found it easier as you went along. :)

Edited by aquiverfull

Zenz, yes I agree if it was all written out it would make watching the Dvds easier. I had to watch the Dvds two times. Once just to watch them and get an idea of how it will work, then the second time to take notes. Having to repeatedly pause and unpause is very annoying. Plus, since I was watching on my laptop, the fast forward button would either skip too much and I'd have to go back, or go too s.l.o.w. It would probably be much easier as far as control over the dvds with a regular remote. Also, I found that I had to take quite a bit of notes. I guess my brain just works better with things I can read. If I didn't take a lot of notes, I'm afraid I'll forgot to say something important. It might get easier as we go along and get into it more, I'm really hoping anyway. ;) I don't know, just the thought of having to watch the dvds is making me really dread the program at this point. I was even considering dropping it. But I know it's a solid program, it really is comprehensive and well done. I just think a teacher's manual would make it a lot more pleasant. I've seen people say that they don't think it could be written into a teacher's manual. I don't know, at this point I'd be happy with a direct transcript -word for word - of exactly what Mrs. Beers was saying on the dvds.

Linda, thanks for your input as well. It's nice to know that you found it easier as you went along. :)

This is me too. I watch it on my laptop just to listen and learn and then I put it in my computer on my desk so that I can easily write notes and stop/pause/fast forward/rewind.

I bought SWR/Wise Guide used hoping that it would give me a more complete picture of what we'll be doing and that has helped some, but it was an extra expense. I really didn't mind it though because I enjoy reading through them and finding bits to use here and there.

I have 17 pages of written notes just to cover the introduction through to the end of week 4. I write in an outline form and skip lines between topics to make it easier to read while teaching, but it's still a lot of notes.

Much of what she says are things that we should be telling the students and I absolutely won't remember unless I write them down.

I'm looking forward to when it won't require as much note taking. It's good to know that is the case.

I definitely have my complaints but none of them have been enough to turn me away from it yet. I've looked at the scope and sequence multiple times, but it leaves me wanting more. Adding some sort of teacher's manual would greatly improve this program and for the price paid, should be included.

If I thought my notes would be legible to anyone else but me, I'd offer to share them for those who are up and coming with the program. :tongue_smilie:

I hate having to watch the dvd's too, but the program is so good, I too am "sucking it up"-so far at least! Ds7 is retaining well and actually understanding-good program for a "logical thinker".

BTW, I actually like the program BETTER for a dc that is already reading . We started when ds was at a 2nd grade reading level, and it was a good fit to do it that way-AFTER he finished 100 EZ Lessons and was reading pretty fluently.

Guest aquiverfull

Much of what she says are things that we should be telling the students and I absolutely won't remember unless I write them down.

Adding some sort of teacher's manual would greatly improve this program and for the price paid, should be included.

:iagree:

I'm doing this at an accelerated rate right now for my dd, who is going into 6th grade. We are doing it for the spelling, she's behind and has a horrible time with spelling. At first I thought it could help her with grammar too, but I really don't think she needs help in the other Language Arts areas except for writing. So now I'm debating on whether this program is really needed for her. I really wanted to go back and fill in gaps and I thought PR would accomplish that. According to the SWR test, she tested at 4th grade level with spelling. We had tried megawords and weren't very successful with it. Maybe I should be looking for something else for just spelling.

BTW, I actually like the program BETTER for a dc that is already reading . We started when ds was at a 2nd grade reading level, and it was a good fit to do it that way-AFTER he finished 100 EZ Lessons and was reading pretty fluently.

:iagree: with this too. I had planned on using this with my little ones. However, I'm starting to think it might work out better to use a separate "learning to read" program. I also think a handwriting program before doing PR would be a good idea too.

I have to agree with the PPs who said it works better if the child knows how to read. I started it with an older child who could read well and used it mainly for spelling. Then, I started my 7yo beginning reader with it. He is doing well. I use a separate handwriting program b/c imo PR is not enough. Solid program and well worth the money but I would rather have a written tm. However, I found that once I watched several of the DVDs and got a feel for the program I was okay.