Menu

Astronomy spine/workbook for 3rd grade?

Halcyon

We'll be doing Chemistry and Astronomy next year with my 3rd grader. For Chem, we'll be using McHenry's The Elements, but wondering what you all recommend for Astronomy. We're looking for something secular.

DS will also be working his way through Carson Dellosa's Complete Book of Science for 3-4th grade, sort of as an "extra" science book (he likes projects and workbooks) and I was wondering if perhaps their Complete Book of Astronomy has been used by anyone on this board?

We'll be using tons of living books on planets, galaxies, etc, but I would love to have a "spine" workbook of some sort. Thanks if anyone has opinions.

What about Reader's Digest How the Universe Works? I have used that in the past and my kids learned a lot and seemed to enjoy it. The experiments were a little involved, but we used Young Scientist Club kits instead.

Is that the series recommended in the WTM for logic stage? I thought it was, but she doesn't call it "Reader's Digest" in the book. If so, the books are absolutely fantastic. A bit much for 3rd grade but awesome!!

Science Explorer (Prentice Hall) has an astronomy book. We will be using it next year.

That's what we will be using. The text, not the workbook that is, for my 2nd and 3rd graders. Since it is for middle grades, some of the science is a bit higher than I think my kids will understand, so I will be supplementing. BUT, there are many simple activities to go with the chapters.