Menu

Need some facebook help, please

A family member has a person on his friend list that often adds very inappropriate comments to that family member's status updates. I hate to tell my kids they have to unfriend this family member to avoid these unsavory comments, because for the first time in years they are able to maintain a good relationship through FB.

I am not sure what else to do. I have tried going in through one son's account to block this user (the commentator, not the family member), but when I enter the name, his profile does not show up (though 500+ FB users with the same name DO show up).

I then looked for it via my own account but it also does not show up. However, if I go to my friends list and click on the family member's profile, I do see the profile and am able to click on it and view the basic info that he has set to be seen by nonfriends.

Any clues as to what's going on and how I can get this person blocked? For reasons aside form the comments I hate to see showing up on my kids' news feeds, I do not want this person to gain access to photos, etc.

Will blocking this person prevent them from viewing photos in which the blocker is tagged?

Thanks in advance. I am tech-impaired but I am a mama on cyber-patrol.

On your privacy settings, you can limit who sees all your stuff. . . So can set it to "friends only" instead of friends of friends (or anything else). That way, the creepy person (and anyone else not already YOUR friend) will not even be able to see your posts/pics/etc. Look at your privacy settings.

You can block him (not "hide" him since he's not your friend). I think if you do that you shouldn't see anything he posts.

Account > Privacy Settings > (scroll down to) Block Lists.

Yes, you're going to have to find his profile to be able to do this.

Oh, wait, here's another way: Go to your relative's Friend list, and click See All so they come up in a pop up window. Click on the offender's name. When his page loads, scroll down to the where it says Report/Block This Person. Choose Block This Person.

Another way to get there is to do it the way you described --

However, if I go to my friends list and click on the family member's profile, I do see the profile and am able to click on it and view the basic info that he has set to be seen by nonfriends.

I am not sure what else to do. I have tried going in through one son's account to block this user (the commentator, not the family member), but when I enter the name, his profile does not show up (though 500+ FB users with the same name DO show up).

The only thing I can think of is that this person has made themselves unsearchable.

I then looked for it via my own account but it also does not show up. However, if I go to my friends list and click on the family member's profile, I do see the profile and am able to click on it and view the basic info that he has set to be seen by nonfriends.

Any clues as to what's going on and how I can get this person blocked? For reasons aside form the comments I hate to see showing up on my kids' news feeds, I do not want this person to gain access to photos, etc.

If you click on the person's name, and it takes you to the basic profile, down on the left hand side above the "thumbs up share" button, there is a report/block this person link.

Will blocking this person prevent them from viewing photos in which the blocker is tagged?

No. They can still see the picture. I believe they won't see the tag...but they can still see the picture.

Thanks in advance. I am tech-impaired but I am a mama on cyber-patrol.

Good luck!

I would double-check the privacy settings of everyone in the family - mine, dh's if he had a facebook, and all the kids - making sure that everything is set so that, at *most*, only friends can see it.

Then I would block this person. If his (or her?) comments were offensive enough that I thought they might be breaking FB's terms of service, I would report the person.

Depending on the circumstances, I might also send a message to the family member in question expressing my concern over this friend.

You can block him (not "hide" him since he's not your friend). I think if you do that you shouldn't see anything he posts.
And he won't be able to see anything you post, even comments on your family member's status updates.