Menu

Dairy/Soy free cookie recipes???

You can make most traditional cookie recipes with coconut oil rather than butter and they'll work just fine.

Yes, I have done this and it works pretty good. You could also make some meringues. Cocoa ones are good. Can he have nuts? Nuts always worry me with allergy-prone kids but this is a great peanut butter cookie recipe:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

That's it! Just combine and put some balls on a cookie sheet and flatten with a fork. I can't remember what temp to bake them at. Probably 350. Maybe someone else knows.

There are some non-dairy stick margerines on the market--be sure and check but I think Earth Balance, Smart Balance and Fleischmans all are.

Cookies like snickerdoodles and gingersnaps use shortening rather than butter or margerine.

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 cup shortening

2 cup flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350. Mix sugar, pumpkin and shortening with electric mixer. Stir dry ingredients together and stir in. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes (don't overbake--this is a soft cookie). Immediately remove from baking sheet.

Vanilla Butter Frosting (you can omit or use substitutes)

3 cup powdered sugar

1/3 cup melted butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

about 2 tsp milk

Snickerdoodles

Prep:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Grease cookie sheet

Cream in large mixing bowl:

2 C shortening

3 C sugar

Add and mix well:

4 eggs

2 t vanilla

Combine in a separate bowl and then add to creamed mixture:

5 ½ C flour

1 t salt

4 t cream of tartar

2 t baking soda

Roll balls the size of walnuts. Dip in a mixture of:

½ C sugar

1 t cinnamon

Place about an inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.

If he can have nuts, these are really good but wouldn't be classified as cookies.

Crystallized Orange Nuts

1/4 cup orange juice

1 cup sugar

2 cups pecan halves

Combine orange juice and sugar in a 2 quart (12x7") glass baking dish; mix well. Stir in pecans.

Microwave for 6 minutes on 70 or 80% power. Stir and continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes on same power or until syrup crystallizes.

Spread, separate and cool glazed nuts on buttered cookie sheet.

Makes about 3 cups of nuts.

Some Fleishman's are dairy free, others aren't. I don't know if they contain soy.

Earth Balance is dairy free (and tasty!) but it does contain soy (checked ours).

Safe chocolate chips: Enjoy Life.

I think you can get mixes that are free of the allergens. Check Cherrybrook farms. May let you have brownies :)

Some Fleishman's are dairy free, others aren't. I don't know if they contain soy.

Earth Balance is dairy free (and tasty!) but it does contain soy (checked ours).

Safe chocolate chips: Enjoy Life.

I think you can get mixes that are free of the allergens. Check Cherrybrook farms. May let you have brownies :)

Earth Balance has a soy-free version, too.

:)

There are some non-dairy stick margarines on the market--be sure and check but I think Earth Balance, Smart Balance and Fleischmans all are.

Cookies like snickerdoodles and gingersnaps use shortening rather than butter or margarine.

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup sugar

1 cup canned pumpkin

1/2 cup shortening

2 cup flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350. Mix sugar, pumpkin and shortening with electric mixer. Stir dry ingredients together and stir in. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes (don't over bake--this is a soft cookie). Immediately remove from baking sheet.

Above margarines have soy. But thanks for the recipe above - it looks delicious!

Earth Balance has a soy-free version, too.

:)

Didn't know that - will have to look!

I make chocolate chip cookies most often. I use olive oil (about 3/4 of the butter amount called for). And I use Ghirardelli chips, which only have soy lecithin, which dd can tolerate.

We also make brownies a lot, using the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa box and using oil in place of butter (again about 3/4 of the amount).

The peanut butter cookie recipe in a pp is DELICIOUS as well. I will make meringues, too, but less often. They are really easy, but for some reason I don't do them often.