Menu

Easy, clearly explained, learn to write a paragraph book?

DawnM

The Four-Square Writing Method

This is the workbook I used with my son and it was exactly right. It broke down paragraph writing into very simple easy steps using a graphic organizer.

I'm fuzzy on the specifics but the basic idea is this: picture a square divided into 4 smaller squares. In the middle of that square is a line for the topic. Then the child writes 3 words that support the idea in the two upper squares and the lower left one. Then in the lower right one they put a concluding idea. I remember each word/phrase/idea from each of the boxes is turned into a sentence. It's very simplistic but does add a bit more as the child gains confidence.

There were google links but I didn't follow them all. I see there is a wikipedia page on it though. There are 3 levels: grades 1-3, 4-6, and 7-9.

I used Paragraph Writing Made Easy last year with my 5th grade twins. It progressed from identifying main ideas and key words in paragraphs to outlining and identifying the different types of paragraphs. The second section of the book was about writing paragraphs from outlines using signal words and supporting details. Overall, it was a good entry level book for paragraph writing. I used this along with Remedia press' Outlining 2 book for 5-8 grade as our writing curriculum last year. I was pleased with their progress. :001_smile: