Menu

CLE Math - *organization thread

parias1126

I am in the midst of reading the filing thread and was reading some posts with regard to CLE math. This is our first year using this math and I was wondering what some meant by "crossing out problems". Do you not complete full pages? I know, years ago when I used Saxon, we would only do odd or even numbers every lesson. Are some of you utilizing this same idea?

Also, how many pages do you do in a day(we are on a 4 day school week leaving Wednesdays for extra-curricular) to get done in a 36 week school year?

Please excuse my spelling errors as my iPad seems to have a mind of it's own! :lol:

I am in the midst of reading the filing thread and was reading some posts with regard to CLE math. This is our first year using this math and I was wondering what some meant by "crossing out problems". Do you not complete full pages? I know, years ago when I used Saxon, we would only do odd or even numbers every lesson. Are some of you utilizing this same idea?

Also, how many pages do you do in a day(we are on a 4 day school week leaving Wednesdays for extra-curricular) to get done in a 36 week school year?

Please excuse my spelling errors as my iPad seems to have a mind of it's own! :lol:

I sometimes I will cross out problems (like I also did in Saxon!). ;)

We do a lesson a day, four days a week. We also follow a 36 week school year. We do one lightunit during the summer (roughly twice a week on the weeks where we are not out of town on vacation, at VBS, etc.). Because we are keeping it "fresh" during the summer we are able to skip the first lightunit in each series. Eight lightunits during the school year and four days a week has worked well here! ;)

Hope this helps!!

My 2nd dd uses CLE math. When I scheduled it for our 4-day school week this year it worked out to one lesson per school day. Each lesson is aroud four pages, but a page or two is instructional text. The actual workload is fine. I think most people figure about three weeks per lightunit with a 5-day schedule....

We don't cross any out here. We switched from Math U See last year and they have both excelled with CLE. I have found that they have retained so much. It may be different for others or for younger dc, but mine need to do all the work.

As for days, this is one subject that they do five days a week.

We don't cross any out here. We switched from Math U See last year and they have both excelled with CLE. I have found that they have retained so much. It may be different for others or for younger dc, but mine need to do all the work.

As for days, this is one subject that they do five days a week.

I also switched from MUS. I was noticing lots of gaps and my dd7 scored very low on her end-of-year testing 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping we have results as you did with CLE.:001_smile:

If you were reading about crossing off problems in the filing thread, then I think it's because if you are tearing apart the light unit and separating it into weeks, then sometimes you'll have to make a copy of a page that contains parts of two different lessons. For example, in your Week 1 file, you'd have lessons 1-5, and maybe that last page of lesson 5 has the first part of lesson 6. You'd cross off lesson 6. Then in Week 2 you'd have 6-10, and the first part of 6 would have to be a photocopy of the page that also has the last part of 5, so you'd cross off the problems from lesson 5 since they'd already done them in week 1. Make sense?

BTW, we use CLE math and I make the dc do every single problem. They even did the first LU of their new grade levels even though they hadn't had a break since finishing the previous level. And although they passed every single pretest, I still had them do the extra practice problems. They didn't mind; they enjoyed having some easy math for a while! I figured the extra practice wouldn't hurt.

And another BTW, we don't tear apart our CLE Light Units; I prefer to keep them intact; seems easier that way.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I also switched from MUS. I was noticing lots of gaps and my dd7 scored very low on her end-of-year testing 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping we have results as you did with CLE.:001_smile:

I don't mean to discredit MUS in anyway, and I hope I didn't sound that way. MUS laid a great foundation and we used it for a few years, but I just felt my boys needed more practice. It was definitely the right switch for them. I hope it works well for your dd. :)

I don't mean to discredit MUS in anyway, and I hope I didn't sound that way. MUS laid a great foundation and we used it for a few years, but I just felt my boys needed more practice. It was definitely the right switch for them. I hope it works well for your dd. :)

Of course I didn't think you were discrediting MUS in any way at all. I think MUS is a wonderful curriculum, just not for my DD who also needs the extra practice. She learned time last year in Beta and didn't retain much of it at all. I am not sure if it is the way it is presented in MUS, or just that there wasn't enough review. She still doesn't "get it". The same for counting money.

I am not sure if it is the way it is presented in MUS, or just that there wasn't enough review. She still doesn't "get it".

We definitely had this issue with a few concepts too.

I also think the traditional teaching and spiral approach of CLE is a better fit for my guys and hope it'll be the same for your little gal. ;)