Menu

How do you search the board for exact phrases?

I am having so much trouble searching the boards. I am trying to do a search for Grammar Made Easy. I have tried the phrase in quotation marks. I tried with + signs in between each word. I am just having no luck!

No matter what I try I get every post ever made with and one of those words in it.

I even did a search for how to search the boards. HELP!

I am having so much trouble searching the boards. I am trying to do a search for Grammar Made Easy. I have tried the phrase in quotation marks. I tried with + signs in between each word. I am just having no luck!

No matter what I try I get every post ever made with and one of those words in it.

I even did a search for how to search the boards. HELP!

You can't. I've posted about this and emailed the mods. No luck.

Ugh!!

This may push me over the edge!

I am in the home stretch of planning 8th grade (I know I'm late, the summer got away from me) and I need lots of hive opinions.

I guess I am in for lots of scanning of posts.

Thanks Perry, I'll take some solace in knowing it's not just my lack of tech-ability.

This may push me over the edge!

Yeah, I gave up trying to search for 'For Sale' posts. It was useless looking for Sonlight Core 3, for example, when I could only search one of those terms at a time. I've had many times I needed to search on the forums as well. This could be a real good reason that so many topics are posted again and again. Therefore, if you need to, just start a new thread!

Here's the trick:

Go to google. :)

in the search box type in the following -

site:http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums "the phrase you are looking for"

make sure the phrase you want is in quotes, and that there is a space between the word forums and the first quotation mark.

If you want to search only the for sale boards, or any other particular board, I *think* you can get the url of that board and put it in place of the general well trained mind message board URL I have above. I haven't tried it though. ETA: no, I just tried it, and it searched all the forums. If I figure out a better trick, I'll let you know!

HTH

Edited by amyable