Menu

Slight dog bite and tetanus shot......do I need one?

You would think I would know this being in the medical field...........and really I do, I just don't want to get a shot.

My dog nipped my ankle and it didn't bleed (like a blood blister under the skin) and it later broke open and bled the teeniest bit. It is one small puncture like mark......but I'm not sure it really punctured anything since it didn't even bleed when it happened..........just later under the bandaid. I did put Neosporin on it.

Do I REALLY have to get a tetanus shot??? Please tell me no.......I don't wanna.

Okay, I don't think you people are listening..........I want you to tell me no, I don't need one:tongue_smilie:

Well, I can tell you that I got two small puncture bites a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't even occur to me to get a tetanus shot. :blushing: I'm the polar opposite of a worry-wart (that was my mom!) so I just irrigated it, cleaned it, let it air a little, and applied Neosporin and a band-aid sporadically. It seems to be healing up fine. But, if I get lock-jaw any time in the next few months, I'll let you know! :D

I think you need something rusty to break skin for tetanus?- dog bites make me think of rabies- which I doubt your dog would have. I think you will be okay...

Well, thanks to this thread, I Googled it, and apparently saliva is listed along with iron (rust) for causing Tetanus. :glare: And symptoms can take weeks to months to show up. Even if the wound doesn't appear infected. At least that is what my scholarly five-minute search pulled up. :tongue_smilie:

When my daughter and her grandmother both got bitten by a neighbor's dog, our pediatrician prescribed an antibiotic for my dd, noting that dog's mouths carry a lot of germs. Grandma did not get an antibiotic, and she ended up with a bad case of cellulitis. From our experience (obviously limited), I wonder whether you don't need both a tetanus shot AND an antibiotic.

Hope everything goes okay for you!

I've been bitten by dogs and never gotten a tet for it. We had a rabies scare this Christmas, but that's a whole nother story.

Cheer up, lockjaw isn't the death sentence it used to be. You used to have to get the shot within 24 hours of receiving the wound, but that would be for puncture wounds that were made by metal that has been in the ground or was rusty.

You're being a wuss about the shot though, they don't hurt. Buck up, get the tet and show your kids how to be brave.