Menu

7 Reasons not to send your child to college

My son has often wanted to discuss ways one might be able to homeschool college. Other than online universities, I'd hadn't thought about other options (stuck in the mindset of college/uni=piece of paper/degree), but I'm always open to whatever he might want to do with that. He's definitely a trailblazer kind of kid. :)

I could see funding their travel rather than funding college and having that be a better investment...but at the same time, there are jobs that require a college degree. If my kids want to do those jobs, the long-term payoff is probably secondary. Also, $200k for a 4-year degree? They must be talking about private schools. Kids who do 2 years at a community college and 2 years at a state university will end up with the same degree for $50-60k. It may be a little less prestigious, but it sounds like that prestige isn't worth much anyway.

That is funny based on a conversation I had with my oldest last night. She has made the monumental decision to homeschool her senior year and work part time. Her goal is to attend cosmetology school in town and emerge with her license and no debt load. We were discussing literature choices for this year and lamenting how few classics she had read in ps high school. She told me to relax and reminded me that she would be living at home two more years and that she would continue to scrounge classics from our bookshelves and discuss them with me in the car, over dinner, in all the usual places. I was lamenting all the literature classes she wouldn't be taking since she wasn't going to a traditional four-year school. That was a "Duh!" moment for me. I will continue to softly chant, "Think outside the box.":D