Menu

? for those that have used Time Travelers cds...

momto2Cs

Realistically speaking, if I were to use Homeschool in the Woods Time Travelers cds as the basis of my history plans, how many cds could we cover in a year? The 4th grader would be doing more of the writing (along with the crafts), the 2nd grader would focus more on the crafts, etc. I was thinking of doing Explorers through the Revolutionary War for the upcoming year, but would that be too much? I would be adding in some read alouds.

Thanks!

We have done several of these (Colonial Life, Revolutionary War, Civil War), but we add them in to a very full history curriculum that is primarily reading. For me, two per year is comfortable, three would be too much. But we weren't using them as stand alones. We just did the lapbook portions of each. Maybe you could do 3 if you're not adding it to something else.

After doing them with my girls in 3rd/K and 4th/1st, when I had the opportunity to teach one in a co-op, I made the age range for the class 3rd-6th. There is a lot of cutting and pasting that is really better suited to upper elementary. Be prepared to have to help your dc quite a bit.

I have one ds who loves lapbooks, but is a little on the young side for the more complicated ones. My other ds does not, but loves history. I think using just one of these with some books supplementing would be plenty for the ages you have. Do you have one yet or have you looked at the samples. There is A LOT of information and activities on these. They are very full. Of course, you can pick and choose what you do from them. I just wanted you to know, there is a lot on these cds.

Your plan is certainly attainable. Last year we did Early 19th Century and Civil War and supplemented with lots of other things to fill in later 19th century and early 20th.

The prior year we did Explorers, Colonial, and Revolution. We did a bunch of read alouds and some independent reading and I supplemented with parts of History of the US and Story of the World for my then 5th grader. I read the lessons aloud so my then 2nd and 1st graders weren't overwhelmed with the reading. There was a bit of overlap between Colonial and Revolution, but not much. It was a reasonable amount of work for the year doing history 3-4 times a week. Many of the lessons that they lay out we did over 2 or 3 days so that we could really discuss the lessons and not rush the projects. We did most of the projects, but not all. We also did everything to keep in a notebook as we just aren't lapbook people. The mapping and other activities are terrific.

Both years cases my kids learned so much and had lots of fun. They learned tons of vocabulary and facts relating to these eras. We really enjoyed ourselves. I am a little anxious about doing Ancients this year. The past two years they have really enjoyed history and I am nervous it won't be the case without Time Travelers. Fingers crossed!

The cd I have has a schedule of 4 or 5 weeks to complete all the activities. It schedules Fridays as a catch-up day for things you didn't get done earlier in the week. If you were using this as your main history program, I think you could complete a cd in this timeframe.

I, on the other hand, am just using the lapbook portion of the cd and it has taken us at least 4 weeks (if not 6) to complete 2 weeks of lapbook activities. Part of that is because my son hates to cut, color and write, so I'm taking things slower than I would if it was just my daughter. The other reason is because it's summertime and we have other things going on.

Lisa

If you do the majority of the projects listed, you will need more time than the 4-5 week schedule that is included on the CDs. Also, keep in mind, that the first time through,the kids will probably really enjoy them. They may or may not enjoy doing similar projects the second or third time through. I would try one and a couple weeks into it, you'll know whether you will be ready to do it again. I like to use 1-2 at most in the course of a year and now often, just pick and choose particular components.

Your plan is certainly attainable. Last year we did Early 19th Century and Civil War and supplemented with lots of other things to fill in later 19th century and early 20th.

The prior year we did Explorers, Colonial, and Revolution. We did a bunch of read alouds and some independent reading and I supplemented with parts of History of the US and Story of the World for my then 5th grader. I read the lessons aloud so my then 2nd and 1st graders weren't overwhelmed with the reading. There was a bit of overlap between Colonial and Revolution, but not much. It was a reasonable amount of work for the year doing history 3-4 times a week. Many of the lessons that they lay out we did over 2 or 3 days so that we could really discuss the lessons and not rush the projects. We did most of the projects, but not all. We also did everything to keep in a notebook as we just aren't lapbook people. The mapping and other activities are terrific.

Both years cases my kids learned so much and had lots of fun. They learned tons of vocabulary and facts relating to these eras. We really enjoyed ourselves. I am a little anxious about doing Ancients this year. The past two years they have really enjoyed history and I am nervous it won't be the case without Time Travelers. Fingers crossed!

Thank you! This sounds exactly like what I want to do. I figure I can supplement with books from A Book in Time, lots of reading aloud, and spacing it out more than the schedule that comes with it so that we can enjoy the projects.

If you do the majority of the projects listed, you will need more time than the 4-5 week schedule that is included on the CDs. Also, keep in mind, that the first time through,the kids will probably really enjoy them. They may or may not enjoy doing similar projects the second or third time through. I would try one and a couple weeks into it, you'll know whether you will be ready to do it again. I like to use 1-2 at most in the course of a year and now often, just pick and choose particular components.

I agree that for some kids, the most you would want to use are one or two of these in a year. My craft-loving daughter seems to be tiring a little of the lapbooking already. That's why I'm only going to do one a year.

Lisa