Menu

How does this look? (And Writing advice needed)

Hello! I posted a few weeks ago, lost and confused about planning for my rising 9th grader's high school years, and I'm happy to say that I am doing much better now! Thank you so much for all the great responses to the threads I posted. I was a bit too lost and overwhelmed to have much response at the time to each post, but those and other information on this site have been invaluable to me. I have a general plan of where we're headed now, but I still need some help on writing. Here is what we have so far:

9th grade:

Math- Chalkdust Algebra 1

Science- Apologia Biology

History- focusing on 20th century history using TOG and other resources

Bible- Starting Points, plus Bible reading and other Christian books

Literature- using TOG and assigning other classics from the 20th century

Speech, Health/Safety, and Phys. Ed are all covered through our co-op

My ds is a good writer, but hasn't had a lot of formal instruction. He's written book reports, how to give directions, narratives, just very basic things like that. He used Jump In last year, and did very well, but it was a bit easy for him. He also hasn't done any literary analysis. I'm not really comfortable teaching him writing without a detailed resource, and both he and I tend to prefer concrete, textbook-style learning, so unfortunately something like IEW doesn't appeal much to me. What other options for writing might there be? I'm wondering if Lightning Literature (8th grade) would be good for this? How much writing is done in that course? Stack the Deck was recommended to me as well... any opinions on that? Or other options?

If you are getting all that TOG, why not use their writing assignments and get Writing Aids to go with it?

I have considered that, but I think I would prefer a separate, stand alone writing program. I don't love having everything revolve around history, and neither does ds. We're not doing grammar this year, and I have literature covered, so just a writing program, not connected with history, would be a better option for us, I think.

Have you ever seen The Lively Art of Writing? I think it would make a fantastic stand alone writing course, especially with the understanding that some writing of essays will be done in conjunction with TOG and SP. I plan to have my boys work through this book this year.

(You are welcome to look over my copy, if you wish.)

My ds is a good writer, but hasn't had a lot of formal instruction. He's written book reports, how to give directions, narratives, just very basic things like that. He used Jump In last year, and did very well, but it was a bit easy for him. He also hasn't done any literary analysis. I'm not really comfortable teaching him writing without a detailed resource, and both he and I tend to prefer concrete, textbook-style learning, so unfortunately something like IEW doesn't appeal much to me. What other options for writing might there be? I'm wondering if Lightning Literature (8th grade) would be good for this? How much writing is done in that course? Stack the Deck was recommended to me as well... any opinions on that? Or other options?

We used and enjoyed LL7 and LL8. I do not consider LL as containing writing instruction, only writing exercises. I was pleased that starting with chapter 8/12 in LL8, they included a 5 paragraph essay, an expository essay, a narrative essay, and a persuasive essay including brainstorming helps and outlining. We used Write Shop in 6th-7th-8th and it dovetailed nicely with these last chapters of LL. Most people who use LL use a separate writing program.

We really enjoyed Write Shop, but I'm not convinced it's what you are looking for. FWIW, you may read my review here.

I have seen positive reviews of Jensen's Format Writing on the high school boards. You may want to search for it and/or investigate.

I think I would prefer a separate, stand alone writing program. I have literature covered, so just a writing program, not connected with history, would be a better option for us, I think.

This definitely sounds like LL is not what you are looking for.

HTH!

Have you ever seen The Lively Art of Writing? I think it would make a fantastic stand alone writing course, especially with the understanding that some writing of essays will be done in conjunction with TOG and SP. I plan to have my boys work through this book this year.

(You are welcome to look over my copy, if you wish.)

I didn't know you were still here, Christine!! :seeya: Well, it's funny you would suggest this, because earlier tonight I was searching some old threads and The Lively Art of Writing was one that I jotted down to check into! So that would be great if I could look over your copy. Thank you!

This definitely sounds like LL is not what you are looking for.

HTH!

I wouldn't mind writing in conjunction with literature, because ds does need to learn both of those things. I don't *need* the writing program to cover literature this year, because I could just use TOG's literature and Starting Points for literature, but at the same time I'm open to cutting back on the TOG literature if needed to make time for a program like LL. I just am not so interested in focusing writing around history. Even though we're using TOG this year, we're not really after a history-centric course of study.

I'm loving these suggestions, because I've been struggling with this for my 10th grader. We did writeshop I last year, and need to move on. Loved it, but it has its limits, and dd really does need to be able to write papers, not just paragraphs. Right now I'm planning on doing a combination of SWB's MP3 program, along with Wordsmith Craftsman and Jensen's Format Writing. I know - a total mish-mash, and it may not work, but I'm hoping that with all these resources one will emerge as something close to a silver bullet. I like Jensen's because they give you suggestions for what topics to write about; I'm planning on using the SWB outlining/writing in connection with our other history, lit and science reading. Since we won't be starting this until the end of August, I can't say if it's going to work, but all three resources are ones I've heard good things about. Actually, I'd love to hear from any of the rest of you about whether this is a bad plan or a good plan... :confused:

Hi Everybody,

A friend told me that someone here was asking about writing, so I should get on here and talk about my favorite curriculum. =) So, if I may, I will.

Erica, the Lost Tools of Writing may be what you need. It's a great writing program and teaches all the parts of writing clearly, well, and step by step.

Plus it's easy to use this program to ask Literature questions. It helps students think through stories, which can prove very valuable and very powerful. It trains the students to ask their own questions and to make sound judgments.

SO, while they learn to write well, they gain the added benefits of good thinking which can lead to understanding which can help them step toward wisdom.

I hope this helps......I've taught this program a BUNCH and would be happy to answer questions. You can e-mail me if you want, because I'm not online tooo much. =) My address is chg@whetsone.bz

Nice to be back here!

Camille

Edited by Camille
posted before I finished! oops!

IEW actually has a textbook-style literary analysis program. It's called Windows to the World and it is excellent. You would need the teacher and the student book and then I also highly recommend the lesson plans that Jill Pike wrote for it. I tried doing the program on my own, but it wasn't set up in lesson plans, so it was difficult to figure out what to do each day. Jill's lesson plans take care of that. You can view her lesson plans for free in the lessonshare file of the IEWFamilies email loop. If you use the lesson plans and like them, you are supposed to send her a donation of $5. I think they are well worth a LOT more than $5.