Menu

WTM & Biblical Worldview

I recently got SWB's book from the library, and after gleaning so many wonderful ideas from this list, I am considering following her suggestions rather than purchasing a set curriculum; i.e. TOG, Trisms, MTF etc. They look good, but I think we need to leave time for rabbit trails with other courses. I do have a question. How do you incorporate Biblical worldview/events and church history into your studies? We would probably use one of the spines for 8th grade which just give the facts. How do you weave in the Bible? Is this issue one of the reasons families use TOG or MFW? The weaving in is done for you.

Bonita

How do you weave in the Bible? Is this issue one of the reasons families use TOG or MFW? The weaving in is done for you.

Bonita

yep. That is a big reason we use MFW. The weaving is done, the planning is done. my kids still have time for rabbit trails, and more importantly, time for serving others.

-crystal

How do you incorporate Biblical worldview/events and church history into your studies? We would probably use one of the spines for 8th grade which just give the facts. How do you weave in the Bible?

My oldest is only just beginning grade 7, but the way I have done this all along (age appropriately as my kids grow, of course) is to incorporate church history into their history reading/discussing/writing. For example, I am currently reading aloud from a book that has short biographies of Christians from the middle ages. We also have a collection of missionary biography books.

We also try to have a regular Bible reading time as a family, and I sometimes have my kids write narrations about stories from the Bible. When they get to high school, I hope to try out the WEM reading/notetaking/writing suggestions on some of the books of the Bible, just so that my kids acquire those study skills. Even if we don't get through all the books (which I don't expect), I want them to have the study skills so they can continue this study later in their lives.

And I recently found out that Peace Hill Press (run by the author of WTM) is putting out an age appropriate Bible study plan. Click on the "Telling God's Story: The Curriculum" link, and look for the A Parent's Guide for Teaching the Bible link. I would have linked it directly, but you might be interested in reading the background info. along the way. It looks like it's a Bible study that follows the classical learning pattern outlined in WTM. I'll be buying this book when it comes out, because I really like how WTM has helped me over the years to incorporate varied content into a learning pattern.

Colleen,

Thank you for this suggestion! So far, our daughter will have math, Latin, logic, composition, and science for high school. All of these are rigorous courses, and the time involved adds up to about 5-6 hours per day. Add in practice time for violin and classical voice, and the day is full. A curriculum that is laid out for me like TOG or MFW appeals to the tired, older mom in me. However, following WTM might work better with several weeks for history followed by several weeks working with literature. Today I have been reading and taking notes from Susan's book, and it seems doable. Read and outline a spine. Choose several people or events to study. Add those and others of interest to the timeline. Complete related maps. Read a few original sources and answer the questions from WTM. Read and discuss or write about some time-specific literature. My biggest concern is incorporating Bible events and church history. Perhaps this new curriculum will help.

Bonita

Edited by 1Togo
Corrections

Read and outline a spine. Choose several people or events to study. Add those and others of interest to the timeline. Complete related maps. Read a few original sources and answer the questions from WTM. Read and discuss or write about some time-specific literature. My biggest concern is incorporating Bible events and church history. Perhaps this new curriculum will help.

You know, you've "got" the basic gist of the learning patterns in WTM. And the whole reason they appeal to me is that I can use these patterns/skills and tailor our days to what I think is important (such as learning the Bible/Christian faith). I can use whatever books I want within these learning patterns, and I can decide how many times per week we are going to do thus-n-such a skill (literature discussion/essay - once a week? every two weeks? Once a month? whatever suits our needs, as long as it's happening regularly)

I just read the excerpts from the Bible study book - they weren't up a few weeks ago - and I'm even more excited for it to be published!