Menu

Do I still need a "Letter of Intent"? Attn: WA State HS'ers

Xuzi

The law says that you're required to send a letter of intent to homeschool for any child 8 and older, but what about a child who's 6, but has already attended PS? I know I have to withdraw her from the school, but is that all I have to do for now, until she turns 8?

Okay, thanks. :) Now where do I get this letter of intent? :lol: Is there a form letter? Or do I just write a letter saying that "I [DD's mom] do hereby withdraw my daughter, [dd's name], with the intent to homeschool her for the 2010-2011 school year" ??

I live in Wyoming, and our law states that you have to report on any child that is 7 or older by September (I forget the day) My dd was in ps kindergarten the year we decided to homeschool. I withdrew her and did NOT send a letter of intent that year and they have said nothing. So I would guess since we have similar laws I would say no due to the homeschool law! Good luck!

Okay, thanks. :) Now where do I get this letter of intent? :lol: Is there a form letter? Or do I just write a letter saying that "I [DD's mom] do hereby withdraw my daughter, [dd's name], with the intent to homeschool her for the 2010-2011 school year" ??

You should be able to walk into the administration building and pick it up. I walk in, fill it out, hand it to the clerk who stamps & copies it, then hands me the copy for my files.

Here's WHO's info on the Declaration of Intent: http://www.washhomeschool.org/homeschooling/declaration.html

ETA: According to WHO, you don't need to file a letter of intent. http://www.washhomeschool.org/homeschooling/D%20of%20I%20-%20Don't%20Delcare%20Under%20Age%208.pdf

Edited by coffeegal

I highly recommend you use the standard form from the Washington Homeschool Organization:

http://www.washhomeschool.org/homeschooling/declaration.html

ETA: If you go to the school district and ask, sometimes they try to give you a form that asks for more information than allowable by law. I'm not saying they are trying to be mean or sneaky, but many school districts do not really know the homeschooling law well and thus ask for more information inadvertently. But it protects our freedom to homeschool to only provide what information is required.

I go into the district office and fill out their form. I don't fill out any more information than is required by law. They have always been nice out about it and never made me fill in the other spaces. Then the secretary stamps it, makes me a copy and I'm on my way. Takes about five minutes tops.

Yes, if she has already attended PS, you should submit the Notice of Intent even if she is younger than 8. Because she's "in the system."

:iagree: For us, having just submitted one this week, it was very easy. I was a bit chicken and had hubby and child deliver it. I got a nice typed, signed receipt I intend to use for those massive teacher discounts. :)