Menu

What were your favorite Social Studies/ History electives??

What was different or fun? Which books/program/ other materials did your dc use? I am looking for an extra elective, but want it to be interesting and fun...off the usual 4 year rotation, hopefully with "real" books. Ds needs 1 extra elective in Social Studies for graduation according to state requirements and I woud like it to be something a little off the beaten path. He has done enough Western Civ. to gag us both!

So, what courses are out there for high school where he can fulfill this credit? (He already has a philosophy as one and it can not be Amer. Gov. or Economics because those are required.)

Thanks,

Faithe

My ds enjoyed the Marrin books about WW1 and WW2. If that is an interest, you could do a study on WW1, WW2, the Korean, Vietnam, Middle East wars. Beautiful Feet high school study guide has questions to go with the Marrin books. You could add movies as well.

I did a course on the ideology of the Revolutionary era. I read some Greek & Roman classics and a lot of writings (letters mostly) of the founders, plus a couple of modern books on the subject. If you are interested I could dig up exact titles, I think.

That sounds cool....I saw an open courseware on the Revolutionary War (MIT) and I wonder if it s similar...have to go back and look.

Faithe

Way (way) back when I was in high school, I took a social studies class called Futuristics. There were 2 sections of this class taught by 2 different teachers. I think the other class was focused on what the future would be like--technology, families, education, government, etc. But my class ended up being more of a philosophy class. You know, what is truth? I'd see the kids in the other Futuristics class building models of their future cities and I was stuck in discussions about whether I'd let a chimp carry my fetus. :001_huh:

Oh, and my US History class ended being mostly a Constitutional Law class. But I guess that might be part of your Govt class.

Well, for social studies you have sociology, psychology, anthropology, philosophy, ethics, etc. etc.

And then there's always History of _____________ (fill in the blank): medicine, navigation, music, science, etc. etc. And world cultures/geography.

Sorry, no help on resources. Just trying to get some ideas out there.

Cinder

You can get an almost overwhelming amount of ideas for seminar-type, focused courses if you google any of the Big Name elite prep schools back East and look at their offerings and syllabi. I've looked at, and gotten great ideas, from Andover, Phillips Exeter, Deerfield. Also you can look at Crossroads, in Santa Monica. All quite eye-opening.

anyone else??:bigear:

And thanks Susan. My son loves A. Marrin and has read lots of his books....maybe I will just have him do BF Civil War to Viet Nam and call it Modern World History. ?? Sound good???

Faithe

My ds enjoyed doing BF Civil War to Vietnam (we did a clipped back version of it to fit it into one year and added more Hakim books). He is now in college, and says the history he remembers is the history he did with whole books. He did three BF series.

He's done philosophy, but has he done philosophy of mind? That's a completely different course. My 14yo LOVED the Philosophy of Mind course from Teaching Company. The booklet that comes with the course has extra readings listed, many of which are available free on the internet. If you decide to use, it PM me and I'll email you the links that I dug up for each lesson.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=4278