Menu

MPH Singapore Science

Country Girl

I'm looking to buy the 3/4 set but wondering if I really need both the homework book and the HOTS book. I'm going to be using this with a younger student who is sometimes hard to motivate to do his work. He has looked at the MPH textbooks and activity books and thinks it looks like a lot of fun and has asked to do it this year. But I'm afraid if I try to get him to do both workbooks he will start to dread science. Anyone have any thoughts on whether I will be missing a major component of the program if I only get one of the books? Also, if I only get one, which would you recommend?

Thanks!

We started 3/4 this year. We're about a quarter through the Diversity book.

I think you'll miss out on the thinking part of the program without using the HW and HOTS. If we just did the text and activity books, we could whip through the program incredibly quickly, but we'd miss out on the connections - kind of like just using the text and workbook for Singapore math.

Other people may have different viewpoints - and it does depend on what you're trying to get out of the text. I want to push my son towards more critical thinking, and I think that's especially there in the HOTS. They really further the lessons.

I've got HOTS and HW but I'm thinking we may do a lot orally. My son really hasn't done a lot of writing and has a good deal of trouble with it. Maybe that kind of approach?

After flipping through the books I do have to agree that HOTS and HW will add a lot that wouldn't be there otherwise but that doesn't have to mean they have to be done a certain way.

I've got HOTS and HW but I'm thinking we may do a lot orally. My son really hasn't done a lot of writing and has a good deal of trouble with it. Maybe that kind of approach?

After flipping through the books I do have to agree that HOTS and HW will add a lot that wouldn't be there otherwise but that doesn't have to mean they have to be done a certain way.

Good point!

Well, it sounds like both parts are important components of the program that I don't want to miss out on. So, I guess we'll order both:D and maybe do them orally if it seems like the writing will be a problem.

If you only get one, I'd get the homework book.

The major problem I had with MPH science is that there was a fairly serious input/output mismatch. That is, the textbook was way too easy which didn't correlate with what was expected in terms of knowledge and understanding when doing the workbook pages. So my son was disgruntled both ways: he felt like he wasn't learning anything when we went over the textbook and then he felt like he didn't know enough to do the workbooks. In reality, the workbooks offered a lot in that they prompted a lot of discussion and teacher led thought, but I got tired of the complaints, so we dropped it.

The major problem I had with MPH science is that there was a fairly serious input/output mismatch. That is, the textbook was way too easy which didn't correlate with what was expected in terms of knowledge and understanding when doing the workbook pages. So my son was disgruntled both ways: he felt like he wasn't learning anything when we went over the textbook and then he felt like he didn't know enough to do the workbooks. In reality, the workbooks offered a lot in that they prompted a lot of discussion and teacher led thought, but I got tired of the complaints, so we dropped it.

This is an interesting comment and one I'm a bit worried about. Like I said, I plan on using this with a younger child (6yo). He and I both thought the text and activity book looked about right level-wise (maybe a bit easy but still fun instead of overwhelming) but I'm afraid the HOTS and HW book might be too much. That is kind of why I was thinking of only doing one or the other so as not to overwhelm him on the output side of things. Hmmm..... maybe I'm not completely sold on both books yet????:confused:

We did MPH science three before they did the rewrite. I found the same thing (input vs. output) to be true, but I solved the problem by doing a lot orally and making sure to use the hands-on activity books, which my dc loved. It turned out to be good, but I don't know how it co-relates with the updated series.

Hope this helps a little.

Susan

Did you use the teachers guide?

I'm asking this because I'm here looking at a Dutch science curriculum and the textbook is really, really simple. I was so disappointed and so was my dd. But then I received the TM and realised all the information was in there. Maybe the same is true for MPH?

This is an interesting comment and one I'm a bit worried about. Like I said, I plan on using this with a younger child (6yo). He and I both thought the text and activity book looked about right level-wise (maybe a bit easy but still fun instead of overwhelming) but I'm afraid the HOTS and HW book might be too much. That is kind of why I was thinking of only doing one or the other so as not to overwhelm him on the output side of things. Hmmm..... maybe I'm not completely sold on both books yet????:confused:

But I guarantee you'll get the text and activity book and think, this is IT? They're very thin. There's really not enough there with supplementation. I think they're really a thin (literally - 40 to 45 pages) spine, an introduction to stuff that truly gets fleshed out in the other two books. I think though, from what I've looked at, the HW book dives a little deeper into content while the HOTS books dives deeper into the skills. I don't think I'd give up either book.

One year's worth of work (Diversity and Cycles - TB, AB, HOTS and HW) is a pretty reasonable $60. Cheap enough that it might be worth it just to get all the books and have a real chance to look them over and get a feel for the program.

Did you use the teachers guide?

I'm asking this because I'm here looking at a Dutch science curriculum and the textbook is really, really simple. I was so disappointed and so was my dd. But then I received the TM and realised all the information was in there. Maybe the same is true for MPH?

Yes. But IMO it wasn't helpful for the problem we're talking about. It has activities that aren't in the activity book but they don't undo the mismatch.

There is a similar input/output mismatch in the Singapore math books at the 1A/B level. I think that the teacher is supposed to fill in the gaps in both cases, and I'm sure this is easy in a country that has a national curriculum. As a homeschooler, I don't have time to carefully go through materials to the level needed to anticipate where I need to fill in.

I loved how the homework and HOTS books required real thinking. I think with the right support (for *me*), the program would have been a good fit for my son. Something like a HIG for MPH.

The samples of the textbooks and activity books make MPH look perfect for a 1st grader. But if those components are at the right level, then the workbooks will be a huge stretch. But if you don't use the workbook(s), you will miss out on the strength of the program.

Edited by EKS

But I guarantee you'll get the text and activity book and think, this is IT? They're very thin. There's really not enough there with supplementation. I think they're really a thin (literally - 40 to 45 pages) spine, an introduction to stuff that truly gets fleshed out in the other two books. I think though, from what I've looked at, the HW book dives a little deeper into content while the HOTS books dives deeper into the skills. I don't think I'd give up either book.

One year's worth of work (Diversity and Cycles - TB, AB, HOTS and HW) is a pretty reasonable $60. Cheap enough that it might be worth it just to get all the books and have a real chance to look them over and get a feel for the program.

Went ahead and did just this. I placed my order last night and purchased both the HW and HOTS books. I think if we use them orally as more discussion type questions versus just hand him the workbook and have him fill in the answers, then we should be okay.