Menu

Apologia Astronomy help please

I am planning Astronomy for my two boys, 7.8 and 5.7. I bought the book and notebooking journal. It looks like there is a lot to do. How have you done it with your young kids? Of course I will read aloud to both of them and ask the older to do the notebooking journal. But some of the journal looks repetitive. For example, there is Fascinating Facts about the Earth, then another page with "Earth" and a box and some lines under it, and right next to it a bland page, plus the last page with "Earth" on the very top and blank page under the word. I feel that we can just use at most 1/3 of what is there, not even close to 1/2. Is this your experience?

Also, how long does it take you to finish the whole course? I would like to add some earth science right after we finish astronomy. Have you tried this?

What would you have your younger one do? Maybe I can let him use a few of those redundant pages to fill in rather than print other things for him.

Do you have a reading list for each lesson? I would like to add ONE library book for each lesson. Or is there a good resource book that can be used along with the whole course?

TIA for your advice.

J

ETA: Can you share some of your dc's completed (Fulbright's) notebooking journal pages with me please? I would like to see some tangible examples how it is done. Thanks.

Edited by aomom

The textbook tells you what to do and you find the correct page to do it on. Its not as repetitive as it looks once you get into it. It deals with the different things you learn throughout. I did it over 2 weeks with my dd. That way it was not to much to remember. She REALLY learned alot with the notebooking journal. It seems like younger kids do best with hearing and writing (atleast my dd did) Also did you see the pages in the back for the black paste page?

The textbook tells you what to do and you find the correct page to do it on. Its not as repetitive as it looks once you get into it. It deals with the different things you learn throughout. I did it over 2 weeks with my dd. That way it was not to much to remember. She REALLY learned alot with the notebooking journal. It seems like younger kids do best with hearing and writing (atleast my dd did) Also did you see the pages in the back for the black paste page?

Do you think you can share some of your dd's completed notebooking journal pages with me, please?

J

We are working through this book as well. I have been going through and picking and choosing what works best for us out of the notebook. For example my daughter LOVES the crossword puzzles so I take the definitions from the puzzle and make a matching/memorization game for her. I may also add in other definitions. She does one narration/dictation per reading session. She does the match books - fun cut and paste books from the end of the book. We do most of the experiments. And finally we use other books sources to cement the information for her. BTW thanks Jess for sharing that book list! This is going to save me so much time! By the time she reads the book sources she pretty much has the information down pat. Having said that we may take about two weeks or so per chapter. We are really enjoying this text. It is our first experience with Apologia and it has been a positive one so far.

We used this last year. I didn't buy the notebooking journal. I just followed the directions in the Astronomy book for illustrations, projects, notebooking, etc. We put everything in a binder.

Are you a member of the yahoo group? Check out the files section.

This booklist looks wonderful!

HTH.

Jess,

I cannot open this booklist link. It only says "Not Found". How can I find it? Thank you.

J

To view the booklist, you have to be a member of the group (posted above). The link is found by going to Files - Astronomy - Astronomy Booklist LG.

There are many other files listed in the yahoo group that would be helpful even if you are not using Apologia Elementary series.

Cindy

I just noticed on the Yahoo group Jeannie Fullbright is saying that the junior journals for Astronomy may be out in a couple of wks. She posted samples at one time and they looked great.

My 6 yr old will be taging along with her older sister. For the Fascination Facts I was planning on having her draw pictures in the boxs and she would dictate a sentence to me about what she found fascinating. Later in the year I would have her write her own short sentence.

I also bought the lapbook cd and am using a little of the lapbook folders also. Example: when doing the Mnemonic for the planets the lapbook has the letters you cut out, clue and past & fold ( I just cut a file folder in 1/2). I will have her cut them out, clue them and then together we will come up with words that start with that letter and make a sentence. The file folder piece I will hole punch so she can file it in her notebook.

• 1 month later...

This is an old post. I still would like help with book lists to go along with Astronomy. We started last week and all three generations here in the family are involved in it. Grandpa wants us to do a model not only in size but also in distance from one another in the right proportion, which means we will utilize the park near us and place a huge round tent as the sun and then can only go as far as Mars. He is scientist and wants things to be accurate. :lol:I would greatly appreciate it if someone can share a book list that can open without me having to join a group. Thank you very much.

J

My 6 yr old will be taging along with her older sister. For the Fascination Facts I was planning on having her draw pictures in the boxs and she would dictate a sentence to me about what she found fascinating. Later in the year I would have her write her own short sentence.

For my 2nd grader tagging along with Zoology, I printed out the free younger version. http://www.jeanniefulbright.com/notebook-pages

It is perfect. I bought 1 notebook and then printed the free ones for my other 2 children. My oldest got the bought one. I found it much more economical this way.

I was able to copy and paste this book list from the yahoo group.

Astronomy Book List for Lower/Upper Grammar Students

This is a list of books, DVDs, VHS, and CDROM we have purchased or checked out of our library. The booklist

includes the call numbers for locating these books in your local library. If the exact title is not available, you

can search the shelves of your library using the same call numbers.

Our family favorites are:

*Franklyn Branley books which are especially good for lower grammar

*Seymour Simon books which have beautiful photography

*True Books and New True Books are always a reliable resource for me as they give solid nuggets of

information while the evolutionary content is brief

*Gail Gibbons books are also a family favorite but does include references to evolution and mythology

I have included the creation resources at the beginning as most of them can be used repeatedly as it relates to

each weeks topic.

I have also included some fiction and early childhood titles because I have a pre-school age child that I wanted

to include in our reading times.

May you enjoy many precious moments as you cuddle up with your children around a great book.

For His glory and the love of learning,

Cathy

Creation Resources

Journeys to the Edge of Creation DVD

Wonders of God’s Creation series VHS

Newton’s Workshop As the World Spins VHS (solar system)

The Astronomy Book: Wonders of Creation Jonathan Henry

What’s So Hot About the Sun Bryan Miller (creation-oriented picture book)

Creation Resources for Adults

Astronomy and Creation Donald DeYoung

Destination: Moon James Irwin (coffee table book with photos)

Astronomy/Solar System

The Magic School Bus Space Adventures DVD j500.5

The Magic School Bus Explores the Solar System CDROM j523.2

Planets Around the Sun Seymour Simon (Early Reader) jj523.4 (ER)

The Solar System Dana Rau jj523.2

All About the Planets VHS Schlessinger Media j523.4

The Planets in Our Solar System Franklyn Branley jj523.4 (Let’s Read and Find Out)

Me and My Place in Space Joan Sweeney jj520

The Solar System Paul Sipiers jj523.2 (A True Book)

Schoolhouse Rock (Interplanet Janet)

Sun

Sun Up, Sun Down: the Story of Day and Night Jacqui Bailey jj525.35

The Sun: Our Nearest Star Franklyn Branley jj523.7

The Sun Our Very Own Star Jeanne Bendick jj523.7

Eclipse: Darkness in Daytime Franklyn Branley jj523.7

All About the Sun VHS Schlessinger Media j523.7

Mercury

Mercury Salvatore Tocci jj546.663

Mercury Larry Brimner jj523.41 (A True Book)

Mercury Seymour Simon j523.41

Mercury Dennis Fradin jj523.41 (A New True Book)

Venus

Venus Larry Brimner jj523.42 (A True Book)

Venus: Magellan Explores Our Twin Planet Franklyn Branley j523.42

Venus Seymour Simon j523.42

Earth

Earth Larry Brimner jj550

Earth Dennis Fradin jj525

Earth Our Planet in Space Seymour Simon j525

Earth Steven Kipp jj550

The Simon & Schuster Young Readers Book of Planet Earth Martyn Bramwell j550

The Third Planet Sally Ride j525

You’re Aboard Spaceship Earth Patricia Lauber (Let’s Read and Find Out Science Book) jj550

The Moon

If You Decide to Go to the Moon Faith McNulty jj629.454

Reaching for the Moon Buzz Aldrin jj629.45 A365 (biography)

The Moon Seymour Simon j559.91

The Best Book of the Moon Ian Graham jj523.3

The First Travel Guide to the Moon: What to Pack, How to Go, and What to See When You Get There

Rhoda Blumberg j919.9104 (I didn’t actually see this book so can’t verify evolution content but I have

enjoyed her history books)

The Moon Allison Lassieur jj523.3 (A True Book)

What the Moon is Like Franklyn Branley jj559.91 (Let’s Read and Find Out)

The Moon Book Gail Gibbons

Mars

Mars Thomas Adamson jj523.43

Rabbits on Mars Jan Wahl jjfiction

Mission to Mars Franklyn Branley jj629.4553 (Let’s Read and Find Out)

Mars Dana Rau

Touchdown Mars! An ABC Adventure Peggy Wethered jj919.923

The Magic School Bus Lands on Mars CDROM

Mars Larry Brimner jj523.43 (True Book)

Mars: the Red Planet Patricia Demuth jj523.43 (ER) (Early Reader)

Mars Seymour Simon j523.43

Space Rocks

The Solar System Dana Rau jj523.2

Comets, Meteors, and Asteroids Seymour Simon jj523.6

Comets Franklyn Branley jj523.6

Comets and Meteor Showers Paul Sipiera jj523.6 (True Book)

Comets, Asteroids, and Meteors Dennis Fradin jj523.2 (New True Book)

Halley’s Comet Dennis Fradin jj523.64 (New True Book)

Jupiter

Destination Jupiter Seymour Simon jj523.45

Jupiter Larry Brimner jj523.45 (True Book)

Jupiter Dennis Fradin jj523.45 (New True Book)

Jupiter Dana Rau jj523.45

Jupiter Seymour Simon j523.45

Galileo Spacecraft: Mission to Jupiter Michael Cole j629.4354

Saturn

Saturn Larry Brimner jj523.46 (True Book)

Saturn Seymour Simon j523.46

Saturn Margaret Goldstein jj523.46

Saturn: the Spectacular Planet Franklyn Branley j523.46

Exploring Saturn Dan Bortolotti j523.46

Uranus and Neptune

Uranus Larry Brimner jj523.47 (True Book)

Uranus Seymour Simon j523.47

Voyager: An Adventure to the Edge of the Solar System Sally Ride j523.4

The Voyager Space Probes Dennis Fradin jj629.4354 (New True Book)

Neptune Larry Brimner jj523.481

Neptune Dennis Fradin jj523.481 (New True Book)

Neptune Seymour Simon j523.481

Pluto

Pluto Larry Brimner jj523.482 (True Book)

Destination Space Seymour Simon j520 (Hubble Telescope)

The Hubble Space Telescope Diane Sipiera jj522.2919 (True Book)

Stars

The Sky is Full of Stars Franklyn Branley jj523.8

The Big Dipper Franklyn Branley

Our Stars Anne Rockwell jj523.8

Stars Seymour Simon j523.8

Stars in the Sky Allan Fowler jj523.8

Stargazers Gail Gibbons jj520

Stars Paul Sipiera jj523.8 (True Book)

Galaxies Seymour Simon j523.112

Galaxies Paul Sipiera jj523.112 (True Book)

Space Travel

Space Stations Diane Sipiera jj629.442 (True Book)

Working in Space Patricia Whitehouse jj629.45

Build Your Own Space Station Caroline Pitcher j745.5928

The NASA Space Station VHS from This is America Charlie Brown series j973