Menu

Science with Experiments

ele325

I love Janice VanCleave books for adding experiments! You can find them easily at your library so you can check them out before buying them. For Chemistry I love Fizz, Bubble, Flash and for Physics I love Gizmos and Gadgets, both are Williamson books. I did not like and would never buy again Usborne's Big Book of Experiments. Hope that helps!

I absolutely LOVE my Everyday Science Sourcebook (by Lawrence Lowery). It is on Amazon for about $16. It is PACKED with experiments that cover just about every field, and most of the supplies are simple and easy (sometimes free) to find. I highly reccomend it.

If you have a child who seems to be eager and somewhat serious about science, I highly recommend looking at GEMS ( http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS ). Each teacher's guide comes with a list of materials, detailed plans, data sheets, instructions, and a number of activities which are not just canned experiments but thoughtful and engaging investigations into how science works and how to think like a scientist. At the end of each guide are lists of suggested fiction and non-fiction books as accompaniments (ranging from picture books to chapter books). Assessment ideas are also included (NOT tests).

I've done about half of all GEMS puts out, with my daughter alone, as science parties with a small group of friends, and with a co-op, and I have never seen kids so engaged and enthusiastic about science. The difference is they get to DO, to think up ideas to try, to build, to put together formulas, to make models, to observe, to get messy with everything from bubbles to dry ice to toothpaste to animals in a terrarium and models of rock formation.

The single drawback of GEMS is that you do need to gather the materials and that can take you to the hardware store, grocery store, and drug store as well as through all the jars, boxes, and straws you already may have around the house; this is most definitely not science in a box or kit. But once your materials are together, the sessions run themselves with kid enthusiasm. Many times my role was simply to sit back and admire, exclaim, and ask questions.

Check out Science Excursions, there is a project or activity after every lesson, it covers a variety of topics, most of the supplies are included (except the sink, water, and perishable items) and a booklist is included for those who would like to go even deeper.

this is what i was looking for. would you say intermediate for a young 4th grader? its pretty pricey, worth it?

This is what my dd8 wants to. We are going to use using R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey. I like that it is a complete one yr curriculum plus there are many experiments and activities.

:iagree: Yes! This! We will be using their Chemistry level 1 this year and there are tons of experiments. Indy can't wait to start. I purchased the ebook for $38.99 and printed it off. It was 401 pages! Holy moly! I should have checked the number of pages first! I also purchased the RSO lab kit from Home science tools for $45. That's less than $100 for a complete curriculum and supplies! I've looked through it and it's very in depth with lots of stuff to do. They also offer Life Science and Earth & Space Science. I'm not sure what the experiments are with those, but they have an amazing "Try before you buy" option that gives you about 11 full weeks of lesson plans to give you an idea of what you will be studying. HTH!

TOPS Science, like GEMS, is also experiment based. Here is a link to the one unit that is sold in downloadable form.

http://topscience.org/books/PressureandBuoyancy200.html

One thing I really like is that the supply list is on the website, with each item described in detail -- and you can order everything or just a few difficult to find items.

The experiments are meant to be done by dc, without parental help.

We've enjoyed the Science in a Nutshell kits. I like that I don't have to gather much in the way of materials because most of it is in the kit (except for a small number of things I already have around the house). The activities have been fun and the kids have always used them as a springboard for their own experimentation (that was fun, but what happens if we change this and do it again with it like that?).

I have looked at REAL science before, but I had forgotten how much I liked it. I think we will try the first few weeks. I also really like the GEMS website....now I am trying to figure out if I could do both :001_smile: