Menu

My 10yo ds's ITBS scores are getting better

every year. Two years ago, with his first test, the scores started in the mid-90s and have just climbed a point or two every year. So now the scores are close to 100%.

He took the 4th grade level test because that is his age level - most of his curriculum is 5-6th grade level. We say he is 4th grade.

Should I retest with a 5th or 6th grade level test? Should I do nothing?

He is naturally good at most everything; not great but he is able to pick most things up easily. But be it swimming, Scrabble, chess, baseball or organizing his friends to play games...

He is noticably brighter than his also "smart" siblings and peers. His mind fascinates my husband and I. I just wonder if I am missing something or if I should be "paying attention" to anything to further challenge him.

We can't spend any money for testing or anything else. We are completely homeschooled and I don't think there is anything worthwhile from what I know about the local school district elementary age gifted program.

He is my 4th born; first son.

Thanks for any thoughts, tips.

LJ

I wouldn't retest him this year. Just give him the 6th (or even 7th) grade test next year and see how he does. The idea is to be able to see the relative strengths and weaknesses better. This year I tested both of my kids two years up. It helped spread the scores out a bit for my younger one, but the older one was still in the high 90s (not that I'm complaining).

I wouldn't retest him this year. Just give him the 6th (or even 7th) grade test next year and see how he does. The idea is to be able to see the relative strengths and weaknesses better.

:iagree:

If he's scoring near the "ceiling" of the test, I would recommend giving him an out-of-level one the next time around.

Another thing to look into is one of the talent searches. The EXPLORE test is designed for 8th graders but many of the talent searches give it to 4th & 5th graders. It is relatively inexpensive (less than $100). Keep an eye out for signups in the fall for January & February testing.

Do you pay for the ITBS and is that particular test mandatory for you for some reason?

I'd look at something like EXPLORE testing or Peabody/Woodcock Johnson type tests. The Peabody or WJ are particularly useful because are open ended and can let kid go until they get "stuck". We pay only $50 to have that done in our house. It's also untimed and oral, so I think kids have a better chance to show what the actually know (as opposed to showing how good they are in a higher pressure, timed situation). The EXPLORE is a 2 hour timed test, so not every very bright child is going to perform their best in that situation. We are going to try the EXPLORE next year and see how it goes. I might still do the Peabody though if it seems like the EXPLORE result isn't really reflecting where's he's at.

Do you pay for the ITBS and is that particular test mandatory for you for some reason?

I'd look at something like EXPLORE testing or Peabody/Woodcock Johnson type tests. The Peabody or WJ are particularly useful because are open ended and can let kid go until they get "stuck". We pay only $50 to have that done in our house. It's also untimed and oral, so I think kids have a better chance to show what the actually know (as opposed to showing how good they are in a higher pressure, timed situation). The EXPLORE is a 2 hour timed test, so not every very bright child is going to perform their best in that situation. We are going to try the EXPLORE next year and see how it goes. I might still do the Peabody though if it seems like the EXPLORE result isn't really reflecting where's he's at.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I always pay for the ITBS tests. I have chosen it over SAT because all you need is a college degree to administrate and proctor the ITBS which the SAT I think you need a teaching certificate.

And testing is required (or the easiest way to meet the state "are the kids progressing" requirement).

I'll look into the Peabody, WJ and/ Explore tests. $50 is roughly the same price as the ITBS.

Who does the tests in your home?

Lj

If you look at the reaserch that has been done on homeschoolers test scores, they do tend to be quite high. The longer you homeschool, the greater the gap. Just FYI, the highest one can go is the 99th percentile, so if your child is there that is the top score they can achieve. I have encountered this with my oldest. I think you have a couple of options:

1) Keep testing at grade level. If you have to turn your children's scores into your school district, I would keep testing them at their grade level (that way it just shows how well they are doing :)). On the ITBS you can look at the SS scores each year (there is a separate column for this). If the scores are going up this shows the child is learning, even if their percentile rank has not changed much.

2) Above level test using a talent search. You really don't HAVE to go through a talent search, but I had my ds take the EXPLORE in 6th grade through Northwestern's academic talent search. They give you information about how your child's scores compared with other 8th grade students, as well as those gifted children who took the test through the talent search. They also provide a "plan" of classes that might be appropriate for your child to take (this was nice in solidifying my decision to have my ds start algebra in 7th and biology in 8th). This year I had my ds take the ACT and was pleasantly surprised by how well he did. I will have him take it yearly to allow me to guage his academic progress (but he still takes the ITBS and these are the scores we report to the district).

3) If you do above level testing with the ITBS I would go two grades up. I don't think one level would differentiate the scores enough for you.

I hope this gives you some ideas :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I always pay for the ITBS tests. I have chosen it over SAT because all you need is a college degree to administrate and proctor the ITBS which the SAT I think you need a teaching certificate.

And testing is required (or the easiest way to meet the state "are the kids progressing" requirement).

I'll look into the Peabody, WJ and/ Explore tests. $50 is roughly the same price as the ITBS.

Who does the tests in your home?

Lj

We have a certified tester come to our house that happens to be another homeschooler. She is certified to give the Peabody and the WJ. If you ask around on some local boards, you may be able to get more ideas on how to find someone.

Good luck! :001_smile: