Menu

What To Do In St. Augustine, FL or Nearby...

The Old Jail - outdoors

Ripley's Believe it or Not museum - indoors

Trolly Ride - outdoors but windy

Visit the Cathedral- indoors

Ponce de Leon's Fontain of Youth - outdoors but shady

Visit the Mission of Nombre de Dios and the Shrine of Our Lady of Le Leche - outdoors

I agree with what the other posters have offered. In addition, there are two forts in the area. There is the big one right in St. Augustine, but there is a much tinier one nearby as well called Fort Matanzas. I found the tiny one utterly fascinating--it's totally different from the more typical, large military installation.

A word of caution on the ghost tours--the stories are really pretty dark, and the tour guides really hype up the gory details and the scariness of it. I did not personally enjoy our tour because I found the stories so unhappy and disturbing.

Thanks for all the quick responses. We went through the lists and decided, for different reasons, to go to the Museum of Science and History in Jacksonville instead. Tomorrow is $5 admission and there are several exhibits we're excited to see. If we decide to go to Saint Augustine on Saturday, I'll have some great ideas for places to visit and things to do.

We're trying to find neat things to do in the St. Augustine area. We'd like something kid-friendly, cheap or free and indoors. Any ideas?

The Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum fits the bill for the first two. It is not indoors, however. The Castillo de San Marcos is also not indoors (sorry), but free for kids and kids like it.

Thanks for all the quick responses. We went through the lists and decided, for different reasons, to go to the Museum of Science and History in Jacksonville instead. Tomorrow is $5 admission and there are several exhibits we're excited to see. If we decide to go to Saint Augustine on Saturday, I'll have some great ideas for places to visit and things to do.

We love MOSH and have season passes so we can catch the different exhibits that come through. I think the Chronicles of Narnia exhibit is going on there right now.

We also love the Jax Zoo, but since it's so been sooooo hot this summer, MOSH is a better choice! :)