Menu

How did you cover all of SOTW1 in a 36 week school year?

Xuzi

There's more than 36 chapters, so what should I do if I want to finish it in time? Are there some chapters that can be easily combined to be covered within the same week? Or are there some chapters that would be okay to skip? (I'm thinking like the story of the Israelites in Egypt, since that'll be covered during our scripture study)

I don't know about vol. 1 but I was just trying to schedule vol. 2 and noticed that there were more than 36 chapters. EEK!! So I counted up all the little sub-chapters and divided that by 36. That comes out to 3 sub chapters per week. So it looks like we'll read the text Mon. Tues. Thurs. and come out right on time.

Don't know how that would look with vol. 1 though.

I have all 4 volumes and they each have 42 chapters. I have combined some of the smaller chapters, added an extra day of History every six weeks or just read through some of the chapters with my child during our read aloud time. In first grade I didn't feel like we need to do narration or activities for all of the chapters. Hope that helps.

For what it's worth, Sonlight uses SOTW and schedules all of volume 1 in about 20 weeks worth of work. This is for one of the upper elementary/middle school cores. Depending on the week there are 1-4 chapters assigned per week.

I don't know that I would skip chapters, but I might just combine some or do some as reading only, without outside books or activities.

I just move faster through a few chapters, usually ones that I don't have a lot of supplemental resources for or ones that I'm not interested in the activities suggested in the AG. I never really scheduled SOTW as one chapter per week. We just worked through the book as it came and never had a problem completing a book in a year.

We skipped a few little subchapters, like about Confucius, and some others that did not seem relevant for my 6 yo. We did not skip ancient Egypt, greeks, China, or any of the roman empire, because we travel to Europe to see family often and is more tangible to my children (ages 7 and under now).

Whatever you skip, it is not going to affect the education of your 6 yo.

We started SOTW 1 in January of the K year, and just went slowly! lol

When it came to SOTW 2, we did a couple chapters in less than a week, and skipped two (I think part of Japan? not sure). I didn't want to read an extra book or two EVERY week, and we didn't do narrations for every sub chapter, just one per chapter (written narrations, I mean--we did the questions in the AG for all the sections, then picked one area for dd to write about).