Menu

Last minute creation based science ideas...eeek!

HSMom2One

Last year dd was involved with a small science co-op near our home and it was just wonderful for her. Another hs mom was the teacher and did an amazing job. Since she was a science major in college and is now employed by a local university that allows her access to all kinds of science resources, she knew how to make the subject of science fascinating for the students. Dd often told me that science is her second most favorite subject since being in the co-op and we felt so lucky to have the class so close to our home. I want to be sure to encourage my dd's love for science, and thought I had this all taken care of and in place for the coming school year.

Well, a couple of nights ago my friend told me that she isn't sure if she'll be able to teach the co-op again after all. I was so surprised to hear this at this late date, and I started to go into a real panic. For one, I would have liked more time to plan and choose curriculum. Another issue is the fact that my strength as a teacher is in language arts, literature, history, geography and the arts. I've got an interest in science for sure, but I could never make as much of an impact on my dd as a science teacher as my friend has.

Until a final decision is made, I need to be prepared for the possibility of providing a science course for my dd. I'm searching for something that would fit the following needs:

1. Creation based

2. Reasonably priced

3. Visual and colorful

4. Not TOO heavy on teaching side

4. Geared toward a upper grammar/almost middle school level student

5. Hands on projects

As I look, I'm very drawn to Apologia Zoology 2 since dd loves ocean studies. We live not far from the ocean, and there is a great aquarium we could visit a few times during the year. I just don't know if staying on one subject in depth will keep its appeal, and I wonder if the reading level would be challenging enough. Another concern is that I'm not sure just how teacher intensive the program is since we have never used Apologia before. (I work part-time and feel that my weeks are already pretty packed as it is.) If this course measures up to our needs, I think I would be fine going with it.

Any suggestions for me here? I sure could use some input about now.

Blessings,

Lucinda

You might like God's Design for Science. There are 4 years, with 3 books per year: Life Science, Heaven & Earth, Chemistry, Physical World. You can buy the year sets separately.

I think this series has what you're looking for as far as creation-based, visual appeal, age/grade level, and not teacher intensive. I would usually look over the lessons ahead of time to see if there were any activities to be done and if I'd need to get supplies--most things we already had on hand but sometimes I'd need to get balloons or some small thing. Then for the lesson, ds would do the reading and we'd discuss the questions. He could usually do the activity/experiment on his own. Then he'd tell me what he did. Later in the year I had him write simple lab reports about every other week. I also had him write out the vocab words for each lesson.

The lessons are short and straightforward, not chatty. It really fit my ds's style, and he enjoyed it overall. I have very little experience with Apologia Elem (only did Astronomy and that was several years ago). Hopefully someone with more experience will share their perspective.

Cinder

Apologia is awesome! That is what we use. It is NOT teacher intensive at all. Infact, it can be used by just your dd if she is at a 4th grade reading level or higher (sorry I didnt pay attention to age or grade) The reading level is at a 4th grade level but the content is AMAZING!!!! Your dd will be challenged! I chose to do it with my kids because its fun but you certainly do not have to. Even many of the activites could be done alone if need be!!! To be honest, I was nervous about the immersion also, but my kids who hated science before apologia both now LOVE it! Science is by far both of my dd's favorite subject now and I truly believe it is because of the immersion! Depending on your dd's age you might want to do 2 books a year though (if it would not be to much for her!) I would highly recommend it!!!

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

You might like God's Design for Science. There are 4 years, with 3 books per year: Life Science, Heaven & Earth, Chemistry, Physical World. You can buy the year sets separately.

I think this series has what you're looking for as far as creation-based, visual appeal, age/grade level, and not teacher intensive. I would usually look over the lessons ahead of time to see if there were any activities to be done and if I'd need to get supplies--most things we already had on hand but sometimes I'd need to get balloons or some small thing. Then for the lesson, ds would do the reading and we'd discuss the questions. He could usually do the activity/experiment on his own. Then he'd tell me what he did. Later in the year I had him write simple lab reports about every other week. I also had him write out the vocab words for each lesson.

The lessons are short and straightforward, not chatty. It really fit my ds's style, and he enjoyed it overall. I have very little experience with Apologia Elem (only did Astronomy and that was several years ago). Hopefully someone with more experience will share their perspective.

Cinder

This looks like a very thorough course that would be wonderful in many ways, but I don't know if I'd like to buy QUITE this much right now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. I will have to look closer through it and see what all it contains.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Apologia is awesome! That is what we use. It is NOT teacher intensive at all. Infact, it can be used by just your dd if she is at a 4th grade reading level or higher (sorry I didnt pay attention to age or grade) The reading level is at a 4th grade level but the content is AMAZING!!!! Your dd will be challenged! I chose to do it with my kids because its fun but you certainly do not have to. Even many of the activites could be done alone if need be!!! To be honest, I was nervous about the immersion also, but my kids who hated science before apologia both now LOVE it! Science is by far both of my dd's favorite subject now and I truly believe it is because of the immersion! Depending on your dd's age you might want to do 2 books a year though (if it would not be to much for her!) I would highly recommend it!!!

Thanks for this encouragement to give Apologia a try. I just took a look at a TOC and sample of Zoology 2 and liked it very much, so I see what you mean about content over reading level. You almost persuade me to go this route! Maybe I should just dive in and do it!! (No pun intended -- you know, oceanography. Shhhhheeee!)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Blessings,

Lucinda

I second Gods Design For Science, a friend recently loaned me her animal world and world of plants to look at and I love them. I called the author and had a nice conversation with her in which she told me that the new updated ones have a section for the middle school age. These books are so interesting I just wanted to sit and read them. You don't have to buy the whole set at one time, you could pick just one book for example The world of Plants and try it, then purchase the next one if you liked the one you worked through. Also on the AIG website it says that these are classical and written based on Well trained mind science scope and seqence for science.

Last year dd was involved with a small science co-op near our home and it was just wonderful for her. Another hs mom was the teacher and did an amazing job. Since she was a science major in college and is now employed by a local university that allows her access to all kinds of science resources, she knew how to make the subject of science fascinating for the students. Dd often told me that science is her second most favorite subject since being in the co-op and we felt so lucky to have the class so close to our home. I want to be sure to encourage my dd's love for science, and thought I had this all taken care of and in place for the coming school year.

Well, a couple of nights ago my friend told me that she isn't sure if she'll be able to teach the co-op again after all. I was so surprised to hear this at this late date, and I started to go into a real panic. For one, I would have liked more time to plan and choose curriculum. Another issue is the fact that my strength as a teacher is in language arts, literature, history, geography and the arts. I've got an interest in science for sure, but I could never make as much of an impact on my dd as a science teacher as my friend has.

Until a final decision is made, I need to be prepared for the possibility of providing a science course for my dd. I'm searching for something that would fit the following needs:

1. Creation based

2. Reasonably priced

3. Visual and colorful

4. Not TOO heavy on teaching side

4. Geared toward a upper grammar/almost middle school level student

5. Hands on projects

As I look, I'm very drawn to Apologia Zoology 2 since dd loves ocean studies. We live not far from the ocean, and there is a great aquarium we could visit a few times during the year. I just don't know if staying on one subject in depth will keep its appeal, and I wonder if the reading level would be challenging enough. Another concern is that I'm not sure just how teacher intensive the program is since we have never used Apologia before. (I work part-time and feel that my weeks are already pretty packed as it is.) If this course measures up to our needs, I think I would be fine going with it.

Any suggestions for me here? I sure could use some input about now.

Blessings,

Lucinda

How about working through the Outdoor Hour Challenges at Handbook of Nature Study. They are all about observing and getting to know the nature that is right around you. I've found that being familiar with the birds of the air and the grasses of the field encourages a respect and awe for the hand that made them.

Thanks for this encouragement to give Apologia a try. I just took a look at a TOC and sample of Zoology 2 and liked it very much, so I see what you mean about content over reading level. You almost persuade me to go this route! Maybe I should just dive in and do it!! (No pun intended -- you know, oceanography. Shhhhheeee!)

Blessings,

Lucinda

LOL I would say do it! Its amazing! If your dd is anything like mine she would LOVE to do the ocean box along with her study in zoo2! Have you gone to apologias website? You can view whole lessons.

Zoo 1 sample lesson

Zoo 2 Sample lesson

Zoo 3 Sample lesson

How about working through the Outdoor Hour Challenges at Handbook of Nature Study. They are all about observing and getting to know the nature that is right around you. I've found that being familiar with the birds of the air and the grasses of the field encourages a respect and awe for the hand that made them.

Thanks Sebastian! I didn't know about these resources and will check them out further too. Even if we don't use it as a science curriculum this year, it's great information for our family to have. We live in a rural area and love watching lots of birds and squirrels year round from our dining room, so that would be a natural place to start.

I believe that nature is what drew me to God as a child. He still speaks to me every day as I remain in awe of all that He's designed!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Oh, look some place like Rainbow Resource for the books seperately. Make sure you get the new edition for the middle school components.

Thanks for letting me know this, campmom. I thought you had to buy that huge package of books! I'm still leaning toward Apologia for this year, but these books would be fantastic for the family library as a resource and possible study up ahead.

Blessings,

Lucinda

LOL I would say do it! Its amazing! If your dd is anything like mine she would LOVE to do the ocean box along with her study in zoo2! Have you gone to apologias website? You can view whole lessons.

Zoo 1 sample lesson

Zoo 2 Sample lesson

Zoo 3 Sample lesson

The more we think about it, Apologia Zoology 2 seems to come up on top! Grandma lives with us, and even SHE'S excited about a year-long study of the ocean. Seems like the whole family would dive into the subject with dd and it could be lots of fun. I just need to have a final word with my friend to see where she's at with all of this currently.

BTW, what is an ocean box? Where would I get one?

Blessings,

Lucinda

BTW, what is an ocean box? Where would I get one?

Blessings,

Lucinda

The ocean box is the book long project your dd would do. She finds a box (semi large, not crazy big though) and decorates it like an ocean. My dd did blue paper, tin oil and some of those brown egg carton things for rocks. Then through out the book it tells your dd to make an animal she just learned about for her ocean box out of clay, cardboard or just draw it on the box. Its fun! Its really neat to see the ocean box completed! My dd's is still sitting on her dresser!

The ocean box is the book long project your dd would do. She finds a box (semi large, not crazy big though) and decorates it like an ocean. My dd did blue paper, tin oil and some of those brown egg carton things for rocks. Then through out the book it tells your dd to make an animal she just learned about for her ocean box out of clay, cardboard or just draw it on the box. Its fun! Its really neat to see the ocean box completed! My dd's is still sitting on her dresser!

How cool is that?!!! :thumbup: I think my dd would be all over that one!! Thanks for filling me in. I thought we were going to end up with a small ocean aquarium in the house with a mini eco system, LOL!!

Blessings,

Lucinda