Menu

funny teenager moment...

The kids and I started back doing school today after a 2 week break. We were sitting together in the loungeroom for our daily "together work" time and I had been reading the "depth and breadth" thread and was all gung ho about starting back on our poetry memorisation to help train their memories (I think it was a Nan post). So we get through about 5 old (previously memorised) poems and all is well then ds14 demands very adamently that I listen to something he has memorised. He pulls out his ipod and plays a kind of half rap song and sings every word along with it, and dd16 joins in. They are singing along at the top of their voices with a very tricky rhythmn and fast spoken words. This is our memory work time. I couldn't help laughing and laughing even though I kept trying to get them to stop and get on with our serious work. (Ooey gooey was a worm and all that).

SO.....they don't seem to have a problem with memorising things they want to memorise. Actually, they are pretty good at memorising songs- it often amazes me when they actually get to listen to the music enough to memorise the words.

It's poetry to them. :) Not quite the classical content I had in mind, but still, some of the lyrics are pretty amazing and deep. Others...not so.