Menu

Ugh! The skating rink was so filthy!

My sweet little niece had her 5th birthday party at the local skate center. Oh.my.goodness. It was the nastiest, most disgusting place I've been in a good while. We had to go there about a year ago for a party and it was gross then too. I would not have attended it if it had not been a family member.

The carpet was beyond disgusting. There were stains everywhere. The skate floor had a crack in it that radiated from the middle of the floor to the edge, like there had been a small earthquake. You could skate over it but who wants to skate over a crack in the floor every time they go around? The most annoying part was that there was NO AIR CONDITIONING! As a matter of fact, when we had to go there a year ago, there was no a/c that day either. It smelled bad, but I'm sure that goes without saying.

So now I'm wondering....why is it that restaurants have to be inspected but a place like this can be just unbelieveably disgusting and get away with it? I feel like the Health Department should be called in.

Does anyone know if there are laws concerning proper heat and a/c, clean facilities, etc. for businesses? I really want to contact someone about it but I'm not sure where to start.

All I know if that our skating rink is one nasty place, too. My good friend always wants to go there and my DH has finally put his foot down and forbidden us from going. He just can't get over the smell and the filthiness. Is it like that everywhere?

If they serve food, the health department would be inspecting. But generally they only inspect the food preparation area, unless there are specific health concerns, like rats or an infestation. If it's disgusting but not a public health issue, they may not be able to do anything about it.

It wouldn't hurt to call them.

Our skating rink is filthy too.

I'm feeling lucky. Our rink is in a mall, and all the parts that people normally see are clean and well maintained. The downstairs locker/lacing area/skate rental are a bit dingy, but not horrifically so.

Does anyone know if there are laws concerning proper heat and a/c, clean facilities, etc. for businesses? I really want to contact someone about it but I'm not sure where to start.

No laws unless they sell food. The public is expected to vote with their $$$.

Our local roller rink went out of business, probably because it was as disgusting as you describe. And our local schools used to take field trips there every year! They had homeschool skate for a while as I recall, but I'll bet people stopped going because it was so gross.

If it is in the city limits, I would call the city building inspectors or the city code office and talk to them. Buildings in our area have to be safe in a manner that harm can't come to someone using them. That crack doesn't sound good. The only other idea I have after that is the fire department to see if it breaks some kind of fire codes.

I think the rink all depends on the owners. In our last town, the rink was fabulous. Clean, well maintained, safe... Here the rink is awful. In fact, it is the same rink I skated in during the 80s and it still has the same carpet everywhere - seriously! Nothing has been changed or updated in 30 years!!! It is so scary and disgusting I won't let our kids go there even though it would be some great exercise.

Well, I have *been* to a pretty disgusting one when I was little, but where we live now has a gorgeous skating facility....possibly the best/nicest in SoCal. It has 2 full size rinks, one of which is pretty much dedicated to Hockey. A 2 story area in between the rinks with locker rooms on the lower level, and a nice lounge/table/food area upstairs. There is an arcade, extra rooms where they have other classes (fencing, yoga...whatever). It is really state of the art. OK, end of brag.....I'm sure you hate me by now :o) . I'm sorry your local rink is grody. I don't really care for nastiness either.

here's what a nice rink looks like: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pkiTFjwipYkHdtEKwH-6pQ?select=9kggJeLM50XZIm9FZ7eGNA