Menu

Help! 7 yo w/ SID, ADHD, and suspect dyslexia

I will be HSing my 4dc (11, 9, 7, 5) for the first time. My ds7 has SID, ADHD, and I strongly suspect dyslexia. He cannot read at all (despite K at age 5 in public school and advanced K last year at Christian Classical school). When asked to say and write the alphabet he misses several letters. He was taught Riggs last year (as were my first 2 dc). I have since discovered Riggs is NOT true O/G. DS7 knows phonograms, was taught all the rules, etc. but can't apply anything or put simple sounds together to form words. I purchased The Phonics Road thinking that was a step in the right direction as it is more O/G (teaches one concept/ rule at a time until mastery, and spelling and reading start much sooner than riggs), but the markings ( the Spaulding influence) I think are unnecessary, especially for a dyslexic. So I have been checking out Bartons and did the student screening (the best I could given his ADHD). However, I am unsure about how Bartons will work considering the combination of sensory and ADHD issues ds7 also has going on. Has anyone experience using Barton's w/ a child that has multiple learning issues? I also have ds5 to consider. I will be teaching him phonics as well, but he has no learning issues like older brother. I am concerned that teaching them together will only hurt ds7's self-confidence further (he was VERY aware that other kids in his class were reading and he was not. He would "pretend" to read books, but insisted he didn't want to learn to read and that he is stupid.) PR is also time consuming (watching DVDs and preparation) and yet another new system for me to learn, so I am wondering if Barton's would be overkill for ds5?? Thinking about doing Bartons or other O/G system and PR at the same time for separate children is making my head spin. I also looked into O/G tutoring for ds7, but at $50/ hr. w/ 2 hr. a week min. ("preferably more") that is just not realistic for our budget. I know there are other O/G programs, but had heard Barton's is the most parent friendly. Any ideas, help, suggestions would be very appreciated! I am really worried about being able to help ds7 to be successful along with my other 3!

Thanks, Angie

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm This is the best program I know to use.

The I see Sam books are very effective for struggling learners. The main websites are http://www.3rsplus.com and http://www.iseesam.com The first link given is where you can see the entire first 2 sets for free.

They start out with only 5 sounds blended into 3 words and work up from there. There are NO marking, no worksheets, no drills, etc. Just say the sounds, blend the word.

I have to head out here to get my girls I but I have posted a lot on this program and how it was the only thing that got my 2 girls reading.

I would also strongly suggest actively treating the ADHD if that is causing him problems as well. Once we started my youngest daughter on meds for ADHD at age 7 1/2 (not reading) she gained 2 years of academic skills in 6 months. She could finally pay attention long enough to learn.

I use Barton with my just-turned 9 yo who has ADHD, SID, and dyslexia. It is very easy to teach and my dd has made great progress with it. Just be sure your ds can pass the student screening first. I had to use LiPS with my dd before Barton to build her phonemic awareness.

Barton would be overkill for a kid without dyslexia or another reading disability, but teaching your 7 yo with Barton will give you lots of good ideas for teaching phonics to your 5 yo effectively. Your older kids will probably pick up some good spelling tips along the way, too.

My dd also works with a speech and language therapist weekly. In addition to language work, she does the Therapeutic Listening Program and Interactive Metronome. She has done two rounds of occupational therapy @ about six months each to work on the SID.

Blending is actually a very difficult skill--my post (#8) in this thread explains why and a few things you can do to work on it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165984&highlight=ra+ri+ro+ru

You may also want to look at phonemic awareness:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127043

The cheapest OG book going is "Recipe for Reading" by Traub and Bloom, $25 for instructions and word lists to make your own OG program, that is all you need if you write the words out yourself.

I just wanted to encourage you.

I haven't used Barton ---I chose to go with Wilson's because I started my middle ds at just short of age 7 w/ their Fundation's program. His dx is gifted/SPD/ADHD/LD's (dyslexia and dysgraphia). The program worked wonderfully for his reading and for upping his self-confidence. My oldest had gone to an O-G tutor that used the straight O-G program which was what I had been trained in during Grad School, but the Fundation's program was much easier to implement and was designed for young learners. Even though my youngest doesn't display the same learning issues I am using the same Fundations program w/ him and he's learning to read. Our Dev Ped and psychologist said that more schools are beginning to use O-G based - esp Wilson Fundations- beginning in K because they've realized that it's the best way to teach kids to read.