Menu

Science?

What curricula do you all like for high school science?

I'm trying to think ahead a bit. Apologia General Science was not a hit for us in 7th grade so I'm not jumping to its Physical Science in 8th. Originally I was thinking we'd follow through the Apologia series, but at the moment, that doesn't look like the right plan. Not saying we can't/won't get back to it, I'm just trying to get a feel for what else is out there for the high school level.

Thanks!

We used Miller-Levine Biology last year. This year my 10th grade son wants to take Physics and Chemistry. Because he does not yet have the math background, we're using the college level Conceptual Physics with the Practicing Physics and Problem Solving workbooks that go with it. In addition, I purchased a test bank from Pearson. For Chemistry, we're using The Spectrum from New Beginnings (they also have a middle school program) and the High School Chemistry CD's for The Teaching Company. Both of these courses are a bit more than introductory so they should prepare him very well for the AP level science courses.

We're using PH Concepts in Action for Physical Science in 8th grade. I can't really speak to what is beyond that since I'm not there, but I plan to use PH Biology by Campbell for 9th. Chemistry is still up in the air for me and Physics is just too far away to have chosen :001_smile:.

We're not huge Apologia fans, either, but if it's the science that gets done, it's great! However, my high school line up has included:

Conceptual Physics

BJU Biology

Singapore O Level Chemistry Matters

and will be altered just a bit this coming year by using Conceptual Chemistry instead of Singapore mainly because it is what our local CC uses for their non-major course. I still haven't decided on Biology for the next round of boys, but I'm considering Singapore Biology Matters or Campbell's text (which I have somewhere in the house).

There are lots of alternatives to Apologia. This board is the best resource, IMO, for curricula choice - be sure to ask about specific programs you see. Best wishes in your search!

Singapore has a high school science curriculum. Here's the link:

http://www.singaporemath.com/Science_Matters_s/128.htm

I've not used it yet, but I'm planning to use the Biology this year with dd (10th grade). It is secular. If you search these boards, you'll find a couple of threads in which a mom who has used it gives a lot of helpful input.

:)