Menu

My choices for spanish

Luvmy3kids

I have seen many posts about spanish lately. I have also been searching for a good program. So, after searching, this is what I have come up with:

Spanish for Children - These are DVD's that use full immersion. They have had great reviews on Amazon. They are by a company called Whistlefritz.

Susy Dorn - DVD's and Cd's. Again, these are full immersion.

Jose-Luis Orozco - CD's with book of Latin/Spanish folksongs, rhymes, etc.

I already have:

Learn Spanish - DVD from Language Tree.

Living Language Spanish

Lyric Language

I am also going to get another program called Learn Spanish for Kids. It is 60 lessons on 10 DVD's. It is a new program.

I am also getting a full set of board books by a company called Me + Mi. These books look amazing!

http://memima.com/store_set_details.php?set_id=1

We will also use online programs and the spanish version of favorite movies.

So, I think that is it;)

If anyone has used these, please let me know!!

We just started hs'ing at Spring Break this past year with ds (6) and dd (then 3.5). I found this and just bought it on a whim. It is produced by Pimsleur and is an immersion program. We have absolutely LOVED it! Each set comes with 2 books, each with a cd. Each book has 2 stories. There is also a teacher's manual that has the complete translation, vocabulary word list and their is an extra activity guide on each cd, if you view it on your computer. The voice of Dora is a bit annoying for Mom, but the kids don't seem to notice. :001_smile: (and the voice of Boots is so adorable that it makes up for it.) I would highly recommend this for the 3-6 age group and you can't beat the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Spanish-Dora-Diego-Understand/dp/0743599772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279289471&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Spanish-Dora-Diego-Adventures/dp/0743599780/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279289471&sr=8-2

We have some of the Jose-Luis Orozco CDs. The songs are cute and catchy. We play them on car trips and my 4 year old sometimes plays them in his room. The entire family sings along.

I think they would be a nice supplement to Spanish Language program, but not sufficient by themselves. We also have Muzzy, parts one and two. I know that many do not like Muzzy, but I find it less offensive than most Disney movies.

Many children's cartoon DVDs include Spanish language tracks. Bob the Builder, for example, is very easy to follow in Spanish.

My children are preschool age. We are providing casual exposure rather than lessons at this point.

"I am also going to get another program called Learn Spanish for Kids. It is 60 lessons on 10 DVD's. It is a new program."

Can you give a link to Learn Spanish for Kids? I tried to google it but couldn't find it.

The Dora ones that are linked look cute. According to one reviewer, these aren't immersion. Am I correct that "immersion" is all words spoken in that language (no English at all)?? If so, then, no...those aren't immersion. But they do look cute. My dd is almost 7 and I wonder if she'd like those or not (she's starting to be too big for Dora).

Also, can someone tell me how to quote people (with their quote in a little box). I click on Quote, but it doesn't do what I think it should.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

If anyone is interested, I e-mailed the company at languagezoom.com about a coupon code. Here it is:

DE710

I'm not sure if that code works for the smaller packages, but I do know it works for the full set.

Here's a link to some youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8O3XxlGedk

Their ebay name is:

Spanish4kids

I just got a good deal on ebay for the entire set. My dd is soooo excited. She watched the youtube video and is really excited about starting it. Thank you to the original poster for mentioning this program. I wouldn't have even known about it otherwise.

The Dora ones that are linked look cute. According to one reviewer, these aren't immersion. Am I correct that "immersion" is all words spoken in that language (no English at all)?? If so, then, no...those aren't immersion. But they do look cute. My dd is almost 7 and I wonder if she'd like those or not (she's starting to be too big for Dora).

I guess these are not true immersion then. The stories are done entirely in Spanish first. They do a great job of covering conversation, and not just key vocabulary words.

Dora: Hola, Diego! Diego es mi primo.

Boots: Diego es tu primo?

Diego: Si, soy el primo de Dora.

Then, after they go through each 2-page spread of the story, Dora goes back and does a repeat-after-me vocabulary practice. This part is in English and Spanish.

I think your dd (7) could still get a lot out of them. My ds (6.5) still likes them, even though he was pretty well "over" Dora when we started them. I just can't say enough good things about these two sets! I hope they expand upon them.

I guess these are not true immersion then. The stories are done entirely in Spanish first. They do a great job of covering conversation, and not just key vocabulary words.

Dora: Hola, Diego! Diego es mi primo.

Boots: Diego es tu primo?

Diego: Si, soy el primo de Dora.

Then, after they go through each 2-page spread of the story, Dora goes back and does a repeat-after-me vocabulary practice. This part is in English and Spanish.

I think your dd (7) could still get a lot out of them. My ds (6.5) still likes them, even though he was pretty well "over" Dora when we started them. I just can't say enough good things about these two sets! I hope they expand upon them.

Thanks Paula. I noticed they are pretty reasonable on eBay. We might just give them a try too. :001_smile:

AprilMay,

I have been in contact with the company. They are great! Did you see the 9 minute clip on youtube? I had a link to it in another thread I started.

They will also have a workbook for the set. It is due to be finished in 2 weeks!! I can't wait to get my set!

Thank you for the Dora links. My kids can not stand Dora or Diego!! But, thanks anyway :)

Check out the Me + Mi books. I went today to the main office and picked up my whole set! They are AWESOME! They have great reviews on Amazon!

AprilMay,

I have been in contact with the company. They are great! Did you see the 9 minute clip on youtube? I had a link to it in another thread I started.

They will also have a workbook for the set. It is due to be finished in 2 weeks!! I can't wait to get my set!

Thank you for the Dora links. My kids can not stand Dora or Diego!! But, thanks anyway :)

Check out the Me + Mi books. I went today to the main office and picked up my whole set! They are AWESOME! They have great reviews on Amazon!

I had just been thinking it would be nice if there were some workbook/worksheets to go along with the dvd's. I'm glad to hear this. Maybe when they have it available, if you are aware of it, maybe you can post a heads up here to remind us (me). :001_smile:

The Me + Mi books look nice. They are expensive though. Is there any place cheaper to get those? Off to ebay to look...........

Yes, they are kinda pricey! I think Amazon is a little cheaper, but since I bought the whole set it was discounted. Plus, she gave me 20% off on the other 3 storybooks.

I was told that whoever buys a set of DVDs, will be sent the workbook when it is finished:001_smile:.

Yes, they are kinda pricey! I think Amazon is a little cheaper, but since I bought the whole set it was discounted. Plus, she gave me 20% off on the other 3 storybooks.

I was told that whoever buys a set of DVDs, will be sent the workbook when it is finished:001_smile:.

That would be great to be sent a workbook. I wonder if that applies to buying on ebay. Hmmm....maybe not, because I got the set for quite a bit cheaper on ebay. I'll check Amazon on those books.

I really like the Jose-Luis Orozco materials!

I don't have experience with any of the other programs who have listed, but I just requested a Whistlefritz DVD from the library. Have you checked out the free Salsa videos? Just search for Salsa.

Oh, and I just realized we have a couple of the Me + Mi books that I picked up at the library book sale.

:iagree:

I plan on using Salsa. It is free! I have a 2nd grader and a Ker, so this should be good for now. There is a thread on this forum with different things to do in order to get all the episodes, and to enlarge the video.

I believe you type in SALG_101. This is for episode 101. SALG_(episode number).

http://dl.gpb.org/vsx/GPBPro/diglib_search/search

Search Salsa

Helpful guide to go along with videos: http://www.k12.wy.us/SA/cs/fl.asp

Adding to your list:

Ana Lomba-Hop, Jump, and Sing Spanish.

This is a supplement. It's children's songs, fingerplays, and games from Latin American countries. There are directions given in English, but on a separate track, and then the CD is the game/song. These aren't for carschooling-you have to be able to get up and move, but they're great for really practicing vocabulary concepts.

For young kids, there are a bunch of free Sesame Street videos on Itunes, with both Spanish and English versions. In many ways, I've found watching children's programming in Spanish to be more useful for my 5 yr old than Muzzy-and a LOT cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and links:)!

I am definately going to have the spanish version for our favorite family movies. I will have to check which ones have the spanish track already. My cable also has children's programs in spanish, so we will use those, too.

I wish I was this excited about spanish in jr. high and high school:tongue_smilie:!

I found a short video

at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8O3XxlGedk

hope it helps

I might be wrong, but I think they're getting some of the pronunciation wrong in those videos. Like when they are teaching the shapes, they pronounce the beginning of "triangulo" as "try" instead of "tree". But I'm pretty sure "i" is always pronounced "e" in Spanish.

Again, I could be wrong, so please check it out yourself. It'd just be a pity to have anyone spend money on a program that's going to teach their children bad pronunciation.

I'm glad to know about Whistlefritz. I just ordered. Here's something else I stumbled upon, and I really like it (I just ordered it too.....so I think my Spanish fund has just ran out. :001_smile:). It's called Mi Guitarri (I did not order Calico Spanish....way too pricey. I just got the Mi Guitarri set). These are full immersion (no English). Here's some links:

http://www.miguitarri.com/index.php

Kidsimmersion posted this, you can click on their 11 videos they have posted; many of them are from Mi Guitarri. I love the guitar playing, the singing, and the cute graphics.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mi+guitarri&ih=10_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.78_177&fsc=5

I'm glad to know about Whistlefritz. I just ordered. Here's something else I stumbled upon, and I really like it (I just ordered it too.....so I think my Spanish fund has just ran out. :001_smile:). It's called Mi Guitarri (I did not order Calico Spanish....way too pricey. I just got the Mi Guitarri set). These are full immersion (no English). Here's some links:

http://www.miguitarri.com/index.php

Kidsimmersion posted this, you can click on their 11 videos they have posted; many of them are from Mi Guitarri. I love the guitar playing, the singing, and the cute graphics.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mi+guitarri&ih=10_1_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.78_177&fsc=5

Well, that was fast! I just ordered this a little over 15 minutes ago, and it has already shipped!

I might be wrong, but I think they're getting some of the pronunciation wrong in those videos. Like when they are teaching the shapes, they pronounce the beginning of "triangulo" as "try" instead of "tree". But I'm pretty sure "i" is always pronounced "e" in Spanish.

Again, I could be wrong, so please check it out yourself. It'd just be a pity to have anyone spend money on a program that's going to teach their children bad pronunciation.

Ditto. The teacher's accent in the segments I've seen is...well, not great. Worse than mine, even, and I'm very much out of practice. He's clearly not a native speaker. That isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but for me there would have to be compensating features. For instance, I very much like Michel Thomas' Spanish program (for adults), and his accent isn't great. But MT's materials are outstanding in other ways. I haven't gotten a feel for whether Learn Spanish For Kids has other redeeming qualities.

Edited by jplain
clarification