Menu

Apologia does NOT have Chemistry DVD's

You should be able to find a complete series by The Teaching Company at your local library. The DVDs are in a set with a large and explanatory textbooklet and feature Frank Cardulla. http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1012

It is supposedly so good that one Amazon reviewer said he always wanted to be a doctor and when he went to college he flunked chemistry in his first semester. So over Xmas break he went home and spent his time watching the complete set and working on the included booklet. When he returned back to school he took Chem all over again and this time got an A. With that solid foundation he was able to go on to med school and become a physician.

Good luck. I am going the same route as you this fall.

Edited by distancia

My concern is that the prereq is Algebra 2 (or taken concurrently with Algebra 2). My ds won't be in Algebra 2 and isn't quite through with Algebra 1.

???

I'm glad I went and talked to my neighbor before I sent my post....

There is a good bit of math in chemistry. Not being finished with Algebra 1 could definitely be a problem. That being said, there are very good explanations in the text, ds did it concurrently with Algebra 2, he had already done Alg. 1 and Geometry. I did NOT like doing the course without help, so for dd:

We are doing Apologia Chemistry with virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

It is free, enrollment starts in August, the class starts in September. You can do the class live, or there are streamed lectures etc. on the site.

Dd loved biology w/vhsg last year. The teacher explains things SO well. I could have never gotten dd through biology without her.

Ds is math bright, but just running behind because I've changed his Algebra and slacked a bit this last year due to my job. I hate to hold him back with science though. I thought the math in Chemistry was a bit different; kind of its own thing...

Anyway, I WILL check out that site and see if that is an option for us.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Ds is math bright, but just running behind because I've changed his Algebra and slacked a bit this last year due to my job. I hate to hold him back with science though. I thought the math in Chemistry was a bit different; kind of its own thing...

Anyway, I WILL check out that site and see if that is an option for us.

How much longer before he is done with Algebra 1? When would you be starting Chemistry? Has he done unit conversions using conversion factors yet? The first chapter is on measuring and converting measurements using conversion factors. I would not begin Chemistry until this is something he is comfortable with or he will be extremely frustrated. Algebra 1 is a prerequisite for Apologia's Chemistry and I think a solid understanding of Algebra 1 is a must before starting. I would only begin Chemistry before finishing Algebra 1 if he is almost finished with Algebra 1 (like a month or less left) and has mastered unit conversions with conversion factors.