Menu

Jacob's Geometry Question

I'm doing this for my 9th grade daughter. How did yall assign which exercises from the Sets to do. I've used Saxon and Abeka and I'm so used to saying do all the odd but don't think that will work for Jacobs. I"m trying to get a handle on what and also how many problems to give. Thank you.

Cindy

We used the 2nd edition and only did selected problems. On the weekend, I skimmed the five lessons DS would be doing the following week and circled problems, usually about half to two-thirds of the problems (whatever I thought would take him about 45-60 minutes to do):

Set 1:

- 1-3 questions from the first part of Set 1, which are short, simple questions verifying you understand the new terms introduced

- 6-10 questions from the last portion of Set 1 -- usually a series of questions in a row refer to one figure, plus a few other questions

Set 2:

- 2-4 questions from the first part of Set 2, which are short questions working with the new topics introduced

- usually 3 proofs

Set 3 (the "tougher" problem):

- optional; if DS chose to do it, I awarded bonus points

We did every single problem in set I and II. We often did the first dozen problems aloud and together so I could assess comprehension. The next day, after we checked the work, we did the section 3 problem together for fun.

Only in a couple of sections have the number of proofs been so high that we divided the section over two days.

My son is not the most efficient math student and completing all problems was not a big burden for him (lots of griping, but that's a discipline issue, not a workload issue LOL!!)