Menu

Looking for insight on Latin programs

all4them

We will be beginning latin this year.

I have one who will be 9 and an 11 1/2 year old. I'm wondering what latin programs you LOVE? I did take 2 years of Latin in HS, but, unfortunately do not remember much! Something with audio, or even better, video would work well for us, as they both tend to be very auditory/visual learners.

Thanks!

Christina

If I were starting with those ages and wanted video, I'd go with Latin for Children. (choice of Classical or Ecclesiastical pronunciation)

Two others I'd research that have DVDs and would work with those ages are Logos Latin (Classical pronunciation) and Latina Christiana (ecclesiastical pronunciation).

Although, we're using Lively Latin and really enjoying it ;) (no DVD, though...just audio).

I like Latin Prep for 5th and up. It does have an audio component, though I don't have it.

I also like Getting Started With Latin for a gentle introduction. There are free audio files available online.

Latin for Children is good, too, and there are DVDs. I love their chant CD.

You will probably find that you need to take it slowly, because the 9yo is on the young side: use the workbooks in addition to the text book and don't worry if it takes you two years for one level, rather than one. You'll be building a great foundation.

There is an audio component, but I suspect it's fairly simple - I haven't used it. The publisher has started to post some videos on Youtube, but there aren't many yet.

Best wishes

Laura

Memoria Press's First (and up) Form Latin. It may be too hard for the average 9yo, I'm not sure. Ds started at 11, and my 8yo is definitely nowhere near ready for it.

I'm in love with the program, and waiting on my delivery of Second Form. They do have audio and DVD available now, but ds completed First without them.

My younger kids do want to learn Latin, but I'm not bothering until they're ready for First Form. I feel like anything else is a waste of our school time.

We used Memoria Press' Prima Latina last year and it was o.k. We're using a combination of Latina Christiana I, Ludere Latine I and Lingua Angelica this year and it's going fabulously. My dc love the LL I puzzle book and the LA songs. We're going slowly because of the ages of my dc and doing one lesson in about 1 1/4 weeks.

This is our schedule:

Day 1: Lesson, recitation, grammar & vocab drill, LA song

Day 2: Recitation, Grammar & vocab drill, LA song & LL puzzle

Day 3: Recitation, Grammar & vocab drill, LA song & LL puzzle

Day 1: Recitation, Lesson quiz, LA song & LL puzzle

We're also incorporating Roots of English for vocabulary with our Latin studies. It coordinates with Latina Christiana I lessons. Since my dc are so young, I'm planning to finish Latina Christiana I & II slowly and then go on to the First Form program.

We will be beginning latin this year.

I have one who will be 9 and an 11 1/2 year old. I'm wondering what latin programs you LOVE? I did take 2 years of Latin in HS, but, unfortunately do not remember much! Something with audio, or even better, video would work well for us, as they both tend to be very auditory/visual learners.

Thanks!

Christina

For that age group without previous Latin exposure, I think the Form series by MP is a viable option. It is grammar-centric and user-friendly for the novice. They have a full complement of products, including videos, flashcards, etc... I used it alongside Henle last year with my younger two children, and they enjoyed it.

One of my sons has done very well with the Memoria Press series. He's done everything through First Form. He did Latina Christiana II twice through, which helped him immensely. He will be doing Second Form in 6th grade this fall. We've used all the DVD's and audio cds. He especially enjoys Professor Glenn of the First Form DVD's.

My second son hated the Memoria Press series, so I switched him to Latin For Children. They have a fun puzzle workbook, translation readers, and a fantastic website with games and videos. My son really enjoys the gentleman who teaches on their DVD's. He will be doing Primer B in 4th grade this year.

It would save us a lot of money if I could just re-use all the Memoria Press curricula for my second son, but it is just too dry for him. I would still recommend both companies.