Menu

Vegan dried shrimp substitute?

I'm supposed to be cooking a Sri Lankan feast next weekend and know nothing about it other than what I've been checking out here: http://www.asianonlinerecipes.com/online_recipes/srilanka/srilanka.php

Lots of the recipes call for dried shrimp and I was thinking black eye pea flour might do the trick. Maybe I'm weird, but black eye peas taste sort of, kind of like dried shrimp. Either that or I've eaten them together so many times they've been allocated to the same tastebuds. I found mention on google about using bean flours as I was thinking, but they didn't give any further details. Which bean flours would have been handy!

So has anyone tried this? No? Ok, does anyone want to hypothesise? Food contemplations are fun, after all.

:)

Rosie

I know! I know! Fermented bean curd. Mash the cubes completely (they are very soft) and stir into the dish while cooking. I completely shocked my ex using this, but he learned to get over the initial smell shock when the jar came open, and to simply lap up the result.

Maybe I'm weird, but black eye peas taste sort of, kind of like dried shrimp.

:)

Rosie

If by 'taste sort of the same,' you mean that they both taste faintly disgusting, then I'd have to agree. Other than that, I think that black eyed peas taste a bit like dirt, while dried shrimp tastes like . . . I don't know what, but nothing like normal shrimp.

You're talking about the dried shrimp wrapped in cellophane and sold as a snack at gas stations and such, right? Not shrimp paste?

if so, you have to 'match' two things: texture and flavor. Salt is pretty dominant flavor-wise; I think the texture might be more important. You'd want to replicate that chewiness. Certain types of small pasta might work even better than beans, and soak up the flavor of the overall dish better. Depending on the recipe, maybe small chunks of coconut? Shredded would be too small, I think.

Kalanamak: Fermented bean curd? We tend to avoid soy, but are ok with fermented. Are you talking fermented tofu or tempeh? We eat tempeh often, so I know I can source that. I wouldn't think that'd do the job though.

Katilac: Most of the recipes are calling for shrimp powder. I don't know if I'm talking about dried shrimp wrapped in cellophane and sold at gas stations for snacks. We don't have dried shrimp wrapped in cellophane snacks here. We don't even call 'em gas stations ;)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Ah, well, shrimp powder is very different from dried shrimp. Likewise, shrimp paste is different from these two. One must be precise in one's description of processed decapods.

So what do you call them? And what do they sell for snacks? I live in the southern US, so, in addition to the typical potato chips and sweet cakes, our gas stations sell lots of dried shrimp, fried chicken livers, and, if you are very lucky, boiled eggs and pickled pigs' feet.

Katilac: Most of the recipes are calling for shrimp powder. I don't know if I'm talking about dried shrimp wrapped in cellophane and sold at gas stations for snacks. We don't have dried shrimp wrapped in cellophane snacks here. We don't even call 'em gas stations ;)

Rosie

Ah, well, shrimp powder is very different from dried shrimp.

It is? I thought shrimp powder would be dried shrimp crushed into powdery sized bits. The recipes say 'dried shrimp- pounded,' for the most part. Ah well, those I am cooking for know less about it than I do, so will not be at all bothered by whatever substitute I end up feeling convicted about.

So what do you call them? And what do they sell for snacks? I live in the southern US, so, in addition to the typical potato chips and sweet cakes, our gas stations sell lots of dried shrimp, fried chicken livers, and, if you are very lucky, boiled eggs and pickled pigs' feet.

We call them petrol stations :) For snacks, they sell a variety of deep fried things that shouldn't be recognised as food.

Rosie

You left out the pork rinds; I saw some of those just the other day when dh and I stopped to fill gas.

Regarding the OP, I saw this Burmese recipe that substitutes peanuts for the shrimp powder; wonder if that would work for you?

Edited by Kate in Arabia

I have to admit my first reaction was "your gas stations sell *what*??" then I saw you were in the New Orleans area. Those of us in other parts of the South not so convenient to the water (at least in my area) would have no clue about dried shrimp :D. I'll have to look and see if they are available at the beach here, just out of curiosity. Now pork rinds and boiled peanuts, definitely (at least at some, and more likely in the somewhat less urban areas), maybe pickled pigs feet and pickled hardboiled eggs (I hadn't thought of pickled pigs' feet in years---we used to take my grandmother a big jar of them and a box of Reddman chewing tobacco every year for Christmas, which certainly shows my less than patrician roots ;)). Ours have begun stocking a lot more of the Hispanic and Mexican snack items as well as that population has increased dramatically in our area.

I had to laugh when the Texaco near us started carrying sushi. I wouldn't buy sushi from a gas station in Tokyo, much less one in the middle of North Carolina!

BTW, I was curious and came across this recipe http://www.merde.org/recipes/curry.txt that suggested a vegan substitute for fish sauce and for shrimp paste.

Duh. I'm sure I did yesterday, but today it is showing pictures I can actually see properly. I shall have to investigate the local shops...

Rosie

One sniff and you'll know why. I investigated this in lengthy detail some 15 years ago when I was a petal-to-the-metal Asian cook.