Menu

Anyone NOT do testing?

If you aren't required then testing every now and then is fine. All my kids tested where I thought they would this year. It really didn't tell me anything I didn't know. I knew very well where my elementary kids were in their learning. So I say go ahead and skip this year.

If you aren't required then testing every now and then is fine. All my kids tested where I thought they would this year. It really didn't tell me anything I didn't know. I knew very well where my elementary kids were in their learning. So I say go ahead and skip this year.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, I don't see a great value in testing for him for learning where he is. He did very well last year. My motivation for testing would be to prepare him for *how* to take those kinds of tests. I was wondering if skipping this year would be a problem. Likely not. I just didn't think about it early enough to get something scheduled. I will for next year though. Just so he will be well prepared in taking tests of that nature if he needs to.

thanks!

That's what I was thinking. I mean, I don't see a great value in testing for him for learning where he is. He did very well last year. My motivation for testing would be to prepare him for *how* to take those kinds of tests. I was wondering if skipping this year would be a problem. Likely not. I just didn't think about it early enough to get something scheduled. I will for next year though. Just so he will be well prepared in taking tests of that nature if he needs to.

thanks!

Heck - if you're not required to - then skip a year!!! I test my kids here at home each year so that they have the practice. I hope to have my oldest take a "real" test in a testing atmosphere starting next year so he'll know what to expect and will hopefully do well on the SAT/ACT.

I don't know that I will this year. I did my ds last year (3rd grade). Would there be any reason to formally test him this year and just skip and do next year instead? I have a test prep book I can do with him, but don't have anything scheduled for this year.

If it isn't required, I wouldn't do it... ever! We don't have to test here. I won't even be entertaining the thought of doing so either. But, I'm quite biased -- I'm of the opinion that standardized testing is a completely useless vehicle for assessing knowledge of any kind. YMMV.

Edited to add: I just saw that Jean put it so much more gently and nicely than me. I'll shut up now.