Menu

Versions of The Bible

True

The Birthday issue has nothing to do with our translation of the Bible.

Actually we use many translations, not just the one, though the NWT is our favorite.

It has stood up to tests of accuracy, and the publishers often publish articles explaining their reasons for wording things differently than the majority, including information on other texts and the original languages. But, like Pamela said, one can study a different translation and still come away with Bible truth. There are people who study with the witnesses and insist on using their own translation. We are happy to oblige. The witnesses used the KJV as their main Bible before NWT was published.

I am sorry. I just realized that I may not be understanding this right, so I need to answer this again. JWs have the same scriptures as everyone else. We don't have a separate Bible like Mormons or Muslims.

I think the issue separating the JW and Christian Bibles is what they say about Christ. If the word was "a" god or the word was God it is a very different thing and only one understanding can be correct (assuming, as those that believe the Bible is true in general, that the narrative of the Bible is the true telling of who God is). Jesus is either a part of the triune God or he isn't. So if different understandings regarding Christ, the central figure of the Bible, both Old and New Testament, arise, the Scriptures cannot be the same.

I think that is why some would say that the translations are different, at least.

So if different understandings regarding Christ, the central figure of the Bible, both Old and New Testament, arise, the Scriptures cannot be the same.
I can see what you are saying. We use more scriptures than the less than a handful that are translated differently.;) For example, the scriptures cited here are more than likely the same in your translation. In addition we use more translations than that one. Most study articles that I come across use 2 or 3, and articles pertaining to issues that are different (like the Trinity) use more than I can count. So in my mind, it isn't a big issue. I am one who over-analyzes everything... INTJ. There is no way one translation would cut it for me. JWs are not at all discouraged from using other translations or studying the original languages, quite the opposite.

I am hesitant to reply. I am not trying to debate with anyone, I just don't want misinformation to be out there.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

For those of you still following this thread ;) have you heard of the shakespear thing in Psalm 46 kjv? The 46th word from the beginning of the chapter is shake and the 46th word from the end is spear. Shake Spear. As I was researching online for Bible translations, I found a link about shakespear. :001_huh: It is debated and thought that Shakespear knew King James and the kjv was compiled during Shakespear's 46th year of life. He was also writing the Tempest at the time which is said to be similar in writing style. Some say he was a translator and some say the Bible was dedicated as a birthday present to him. Still others say he had nothing to do with it, however he was King James friend.

It is a huge coincidence if nothing else that shake spear is in Psalm. Do you think this is a sign that man's hand was in the making of the kjv of the Bible?

I know that I am not all that knowledgeable about JWs but did know that they don't accept the Trinity which is a very important doctrine in most Christian churches. I certainly understand that there are many Bible verses which probably your recommended translation and one of ours have the same verses but there are some ones that are significantly different.

I do have to say that when living in Belgium, we had French speaking JW women come and visit us. I didn't have enough vocabulary to have a theological discussion but knowing that the Belgian government has made their denomination illegal, I simply talked to them about how in the United States we have freedom of religion and it would be nice if that existed in Belgium too.

I do have to say that when living in Belgium, we had French speaking JW women come and visit us. I didn't have enough vocabulary to have a theological discussion but knowing that the Belgian government has made their denomination illegal, I simply talked to them about how in the United States we have freedom of religion and it would be nice if that existed in Belgium too.

:confused:

First time I hear.

I don't have time to read all of the replies right now, so this may have already been suggested, but I suggest you get a "Comparative Study Bible". Here's one that contains the NIV,King James,New American Standard Bible, and Amplified Bible. You can easily compare translations with a Bible like this.

http://www.christianbook.com/amplified-kjv-nasb-niv-comparative-hardcover/9780310903338/pd/90333?item_code=WW&netp_id=115457&event=ESRCN&view=details

Here's one in bonded leather.

http://www.christianbook.com/comparative-bible-revised-burgundy-bonded-leather/9780310903369/pd/90337?item_code=WW&netp_id=115657&event=ESRCN&view=details

I have a Comparative Study Bible and enjoy being able to read a passage in a couple of different translations. It's very handy to have the translations side by side in one book, rather than needing to have several Bibles, all a different translation.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Yes, some European countries have special regulations on what is a religion and what is a cult. If they consider your religion a cult, it is banned. At least in 2003-06 when we lived there, Jehovah's Witnesses were banned.

That makes me sad :( I feel for them.

I didn't feel very sad when they did the same to Scientology but I am a bad person. :(

i like the NIV for readability and NASB for accuracy. I like the KJV for poetic beauty.

I think the important thing is to read versions that have been translated directly from the original languages and NOT paraphrases, such as the Living Bible or The Message. The NIV is a phrase-by-phrase translation, and the NASB is a word-for-word translation, which lends itself to accuracy, but a bit of awkward wording from time to time.

I don't have time to read all of the replies right now, so this may have already been suggested, but I suggest you get a "Comparative Study Bible". Here's one that contains the NIV,King James,New American Standard Bible, and Amplified Bible. You can easily compare translations with a Bible like this.

http://www.christianbook.com/amplified-kjv-nasb-niv-comparative-hardcover/9780310903338/pd/90333?item_code=WW&netp_id=115457&event=ESRCN&view=details

Here's one in bonded leather.

http://www.christianbook.com/comparative-bible-revised-burgundy-bonded-leather/9780310903369/pd/90337?item_code=WW&netp_id=115657&event=ESRCN&view=details

I have a Comparative Study Bible and enjoy being able to read a passage in a couple of different translations. It's very handy to have the translations side by side in one book, rather than needing to have several Bibles, all a different translation.

:iagree:

Yes, some European countries have special regulations on what is a religion and what is a cult. If they consider your religion a cult, it is banned. At least in 2003-06 when we lived there, Jehovah's Witnesses were banned.
Yes, we are pesky. (Revelation 9) We have been thrown into jail (either for preaching or for neutrality) in nearly every country including the US.

Thank you both for the info, I really had no idea about that. I knew that there were some problems in the past, but I didn't know it was still going on.