Menu

Those of you who hs in Arkansas...

can you please answer this for me. I was reading on the state law for hsling in Ark at HSLDA. I am confused about one part.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Arkansas.pdf

Well at the part that states Parents/ guardians must deliver notice in person the first time to the superintendent. Then it has a list of stuff you need to report. All of them except one I understand. At the bottom of the list is (e.) it states the qualifications of the teacher/parent. Then if you scroll down there is in bold letters Teacher qualifications: none.

So, what are they asking here? To me it is very unclear. If it states no qualifications are needed, why are they asking for your qualifications the first time? What do you put down?

Also the part about testing. From what I am reading you have to test, yet a certain score is not required. If you refuse you get charged with truancy right? Then in there it states you have to use their tests unless alternate testing procedures are approved. So, what kind of alternate testing is there?

Oh, one more thing we are not required to register as a homeschooler until they are 7. Ark is 5. Will I have to produce records for those 2 years of schooling? Maybe that is a question I need to ask HSLDA, huh?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of with homeschooling in Ark?

We are looking into moving some time in the near or far future not too sure and Ark is on our list. We have lived there before, but I have not homeschooled there. This is my reasoning for asking I want to make sure I am clear on what is expected.

Thank you for any help.

can you please answer this for me. I was reading on the state law for hsling in Ark at HSLDA. I am confused about one part.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Arkansas.pdf

Well at the part that states Parents/ guardians must deliver notice in person the first time to the superintendent. Then it has a list of stuff you need to report. All of them except one I understand. At the bottom of the list is (e.) it states the qualifications of the teacher/parent. Then if you scroll down there is in bold letters Teacher qualifications: none.

So, what are they asking here? To me it is very unclear. If it states no qualifications are needed, why are they asking for your qualifications the first time? What do you put down?

Here's a copy of the waiver you will need.

http://arkansased.org/about/pdf/schools/hs_waiver_intent_10-11_051810.pdf

Basically, they just ask what the highest level of education you attained. I just put down that I had completed 2 years of college. No one ever questioned, asked for proof, etc.

Also the part about testing. From what I am reading you have to test, yet a certain score is not required. If you refuse you get charged with truancy right? Then in there it states you have to use their tests unless alternate testing procedures are approved. So, what kind of alternate testing is there?

Here's a good site explaining the standardized testing requirement. Standardized testing is only required in grade 3 & up.

http://www.homeedonline.com/poptestdetails.html

Oh, one more thing we are not required to register as a homeschooler until they are 7. Ark is 5. Will I have to produce records for those 2 years of schooling? Maybe that is a question I need to ask HSLDA, huh?

I doubt you will have to provide records. I would imagine Arkansas law can only cover you for the years that you actually live here.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of with homeschooling in Ark?

Our district was really easy. I turned in the paperwork. That was it:). DS is too young for standardized testing so I don't have to worry about that yet.

We are looking into moving some time in the near or far future not too sure and Ark is on our list. We have lived there before, but I have not homeschooled there. This is my reasoning for asking I want to make sure I am clear on what is expected.

Thank you for any help.

Once more thing, are hs children there allowed to participate in sports there? I know here they can with the ps kids, also there is town teams and such. Anything like that there?

Homeschoolers currently cannot participate in extracurriculars at public school districts. There is a bill that has been introduced but not passed.

http://arkansashomeschool.org/blog/index.php/2009/04/08/tim-tebow-voted-down-sent-to-interim-study/

Our town has local organizations that my kids play in though.

Homeschooling in Arkansas is pretty easy. You go to your district's administrative offices and pick up forms. One requires a list of your curricula as well as your own educational background. This is what I believe they want for "qulifications." There are absolutely no requirements of you as a parent to home school in AR. One doesn't even need a high school diploma. Why they ask for your educational background is beyond me, but they do. I think this on the same form as your intent to home school, but I can't recall right now. You also sign a waiver stating that you will not hold the state responsible for your child's education . Forms are due on August 15th. I'm sure that doesn't apply if you move into the area. I think you have a month or so to get to the office and notify them, fill out forms, etc. Forms are required to be filed every year. I have not picked up my forms for next year, so they may have changed, but this is how it has been for the past six years. I always pick up forms in person and deliver them in person. They stamp the form as being "received" and then make a copy for me so I have a record showing that I jumped through the proper hoops.

I seriously doubt you will need to show proof of anything you have previously done. They are only concerned about what you are doing going forward.

Standardized testing is required, but it is pretty easy. We take the ITBS but only parts of it. The law requires that home schoolers take a nationally-norm referenced test. I believe homeschoolers have to take the same sections (or types of sections) that public school kids take. Testing is required for grades 3 - 9. The big emphasis in AR is the benchmark which is only a state-norm referenced test. The public schools used to give a full battery of a nationally-norm referenced test as well as the Benchmark, but they decided it was "too much." So, they only take reading and math problem solving and data interpretation. Public schools take the SAT 10, 11, whatever number it is now, but we still do ITBS b/c the state didn't want to buy us new tests. It matters not, b/c both are nationally norm-referenced tests. The state facilitates testing for home schoolers. You will receive info in the mail (the information is obtained from the forms you turn into the district) in February that tells you when and where to sign up. There are many choices state-wide. Alternatively, if you can have an alternate test site (for example, our home school group tests as a group), or, if you or your husband has a college degree, you can facilitate testing yourself at home through BJU. I do not know about truancy problems. We have just always tested. We tested once through the state and then our homeschool group started doing our own testing.

To my knowledge, students are NOT allowed to participate in public school sports. This may be on a district-by-district basis, however. Generally, though I believe the answer is, "no." Our state legislature tried to pass the "Tim Tebow" bill last year, but it failed. They were concerned that existing athletes would drop out, say they were being home schooled but not do anything, and just keep on playing sports. There are some home school teams in limited sports in our area (Northwest Arkansas), and some private schools will allow home schoolers to play on their sports teams.

I feel like this is kind of ramling. Please ask more if I have been unclear.

HTH.

I'm in AR also.

If I were you, I'd just go in to my school district's office and ask them what is meant by a certain line if you don't undertand. Ours are easy to work with and very helpful.

The testing is no big deal. Just sign up for it and take it. They don't even collect the results, you just have to take it.

AR is considered and very easy state to homeschool in. I count my blessing that it is so simple to comply!

Thank you ladies. That really helped clear up my concerns and questions.

We are looking into the Conway area. We have to move where there are drilling jobs, you know follow the money. I know when we lived there before and just did normal 8-5 jobs we barely made it by. I don't want that again. It was just too hard.

Thank you ladies. That really helped clear up my concerns and questions.

We are looking into the Conway area. We have to move where there are drilling jobs, you know follow the money. I know when we lived there before and just did normal 8-5 jobs we barely made it by. I don't want that again. It was just too hard.

Conway is just 30 minutes from me. It's nice.

The only thing I will add is that you have the option of testing your own children through Seton Homeschool and you do not need a degree to administer the test. You need to follow the procedure Hoggirl shared but choose Seton as your alternate testing choice.

No, you would not.

Also, since there are no teacher qualification requirements, you could just include any formal education you have. Don't try to convince anyone that you're capable, because you aren't required to do so.

I'm using the ARVA so I have a few more hoops to jump through, but it is still VERY easy. I know plenty of independent hs'lers and AR is easy easy easy.

I think the required testing is not even one full day.

ARVA students have to test just like public schools so ds had to test for parts of 4 days.

Conway area should have LOTS of homeschool support.