Menu

Which microscopes are best?

I want to purchase a stereomicroscope and compound microscope that will take us through high school. My dc are entering 7th & 3rd grades and we'll be studying life science this coming year. I've linked the ones I'm seriously considering, but if you have other suggestions, please advise.

Thanks,

Jennifer

This looks pretty basic, but I think it would get the job done, but is it enough?

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/stereo-microscope-basic-30x/p/MI-30STERX/

This stereoscope has more features and is more expensive.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/stereo-microscope-deluxe-20-40x/p/MI-24STERX/

This compound scope is expensive, but it is rated highly on HTT microscope chart. Would love the binocular viewer but that adds $125:eek:

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/ultimate-home-microscope/p/MI-5000STD/

I'm interested in hearing responses too, as I've got two sons interested in biology. My oldest begins high school this year. Jennifer, you might want to check this link www.greatscopes.com/rev3.htm for grins. I've heard good things about this scope and seller on another homeschool list. It is in the price range of your most expensive option, but I do not know how it compares in terms of quality and features. I hear Great Scopes is run by a homeschooling family and offers a 10% discount to homeschoolers. I'm going to call them with questions.

Renee

Guest Barb B

Looking forward to responses. I have an old microscope that isn't too good anymore. I find all the microscopes confusing.

Barb

Jennifer, personally I wouldn't go with any of those. The first two will work for the elementary grades, but not for high school biology. The last one is an oil immersion microscope, which may be needed in sciences beyond high school, but isn't what I'd choose for high school.

I'll search a bit, and give you a link to a fairly recent thread on microscopes. Maybe there will be something mentioned in there that you'd be interested in. :)

ETA: I searched quite a bit, but can't find a few of the threads I had in mind. There is one in the catalog you're looking at that I would choose - it's about $200 or so.

This is one I like, and I'd add a mechanical stage. http://www.hometrainingtools.com/home-iris-diaphragm-microscope/p/MI-4100SPL/ But all of this is just my opinion. :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

... just some thoughts.

Most people find it difficult to learn to use a stereo microscope. I would think that kids would often just use one eye and that defeats the purpose of buying a stereo microscope.

I'm not sure why use would want to use oil immersion in high school. I don't think the benefits are worth the expense.

I have used lots of microscopes, but haven't bought one yet. I have been looking and I'll probably buy one from Home Science Tools soon.

Ladies, thanks for your responses and helpful links.

I do have a question for those who mentioned this....Why would I not want an oil immersion type? We love science and I have my master's in nutrition. Now granted, I don't remember what kind of scopes we used in HS, but I expected that we would be doing some microbiology in our upper level sciences. Am I inaccurate in my expectations of HS science? Can this scope only be used with oil or can pre-prepared slides also be viewed using this?

BTW, I do like the Iris Diaphragm Scope that a poster mentioned.

(Sorry, I didn't respond individually to each of you. I forgot to multi-quote before typing my response. :001_huh:)

Thanks again, everyone, and please keep the responses coming.

Jennifer

Oil immersion in used with 1000x power. It is time intensive and difficult to get used to and students find it much easier to see and learn with lower powers.

If you want the other features of an oil immersion scope, then that is fine, but it is unlikely you'll need anything more than 400x evern for microbiology.

Oil immersion in used with 1000x power. It is time intensive and difficult to get used to and students find it much easier to see and learn with lower powers.

If you want the other features of an oil immersion scope, then that is fine, but it is unlikely you'll need anything more than 400x evern for microbiology.

:iagree:

Here's a site that explains about different microscopes. If you scroll down to What Magnification, you'll read more about oil immersion and it's drawbacks.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/microscope.htm

Thank you for clarification!

:iagree:

Here's a site that explains about different microscopes. If you scroll down to What Magnification' date=' you'll read more about oil immersion and it's drawbacks.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/microscope.htm[/quote']

Very helpful site--thank you!

We enjoy using the microscope recommended by Sonlight - I actually bought a refurbished one here: www.lunags.com

for half the price of a new Sonlight model. It's in like new condition!

I'll check out this site and the Sonlight recs.

To everyone who repied, thanks for your insight. I think I still have some research to do.

Jennifer