Menu

Need Gluten-free and/or Vegetarian recipes for a crowd!

For the first time in eight years, all my siblings will be together, with spouses and children (we came close at my brother's wedding, but one BIL was deployed). Now sister and BIL are being station in Okinawa, so we are all gathering together to see them before they go. My parents and grandma are coming too! I'm really excited!!

Now for the challenge. :D

One sister has celiac disease. So... my plan was to try to cook as many meals as possible that are gluten-free, but yummy for everyone to try to eliminate double cooking as much as possible.

Then my mom reminded me that brother and SIL are now vegetarian. So... I will probably be cooking double anyway. But surely there are good some gluten-free, and vegetarian dishes out there!

To make thing more fun, my dad and grandma are diabetic. And I am avoiding dairy for the sake of my nursling. Fortunately, my three year old recently passed his corn challenge, so I no longer have to avoid that completely!

So... looking for great gluten-free recipes and vegetarian recipes. Especially ones that can be easily modified to feed a crowd and if they just so happen to be crockpot recipes, all the better! :lol:

Off the top of my head -- bits and pieces that might work:

Thai coconut curry (rice, coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, *fish* sauce -though only 1 TBS-, basil, red pepper -- let me know if you want a real recipe, lol.)

Hummus and veggies

potato salad

gfcf spaghetti with tomato sauce (I really like the corn/quinoa pasta)

tacos or taco salads -- vegetarians can use beans and rice, the others can use beef, beans and rice, plus veggies, guacamole, salsa, etc. Let me know if you want a recipe for easy taco seasoning that's gf and dairy-free

cucumbers, onions and tomatoes in vinegar/oil dressing.

fruit

vegetarian chili (use individual spices, not packaged, to avoid gluten)

minestrone soup (use gf pasta, if you want to add pasta)

jambalaya -- celery, vegetable stock, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, okra, etc., over rice. Add shrimp, sausage and chicken for those who eat meat.

I'm sure I can think of more, but my laptop battery is dying. ;-)

Lisa

Edited by Lisa in Jax
Captain redundant was redundant

Off the top of my head -- bits and pieces that might work:

Thai coconut curry (rice, coconut milk, curry paste, sugar, *fish* sauce -though only 1 TBS-, basil, red pepper -- let me know if you want a real recipe, lol.)

Hummus and veggies

potato salad

gfcf spaghetti with tomato sauce (I really like the corn/quinoa pasta)

tacos or taco salads -- vegetarians can use beans and rice, the others can use beef, beans and rice, plus veggies, guacamole, salsa, etc. Let me know if you want a recipe for easy taco seasoning that's gf and dairy-free

cucumbers, onions and tomatoes in vinegar/oil dressing.

fruit

vegetarian chili (use individual spices, not packaged, to avoid gluten)

minestrone soup (use gf pasta, if you want to add pasta)

jambalaya -- celery, vegetable stock, carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, okra, etc., over rice. Add shrimp, sausage and chicken for those who eat meat.

I'm sure I can think of more, but my laptop battery is dying. ;-)

Lisa

Ooooh great ideas- thanks!! My husband LOVES Thai Curry, so I think he would kiss you if you gave me the recipe! Despite that, will you please share? :D And yes, I'd really appreciate the GF taco seasoning.

Followup question for anyone familiar with GF cooking- are there certain foods I need to be aware of that have hidden gluten or that I wouldn't easily be able to tell that would contain gluten? I know while avoiding corn and dairy and soy, I learned a lot about which ingredients I had to avoid, even though they don't sound like dairy for instance. Especially with corn, there are a lot of non-disclosed corn-derived ingredients. So for gluten-free, are there some ingredients I need to specifically avoid? My sister mentioned MSG, and did tell me that that some products are often cross-contaminated like oatmeal. ANy suggestions along those lines would be great too!

In a wok or non-stick pan, add 1 TBS fish sauce and 1 to 3 tsp red curry paste (less if you like it milder, more if you like it HOT). Add 2T sugar, and blend while cooking at medium heat.

Add 2 cans coconut milk and 1-2 cups veggie broth (or water). Whisk everything together, and heat fully. Add snipped fresh basil and any veggies you like (broccoli, mushrooms, carrot matchsticks, potato, etc.). I sometimes put in a T or two of peanut butter, for a more complex flavor. When the veggies are cooked, serve over rice. (I cook 2 cups of raw rice for this amount of curry.)

If you're making this for a meat-eating group, add chicken broth and thinly-sliced chicken breast before you cook the veggies. (If you add diced potatoes, too, you can put them in with the chicken, but wait on the basil and the other veggies until the chicken is almost cooked.)

When it's almost done, check to see if it's too spicy. Add sugar, 1 T at a time, until the spiciness suits you.

GFCF Taco Seasoning: Start with equal amounts of garlic powder and cumin. Add 1/2 as much (each) of paprika, onion powder and cayenne, and 1/4 amount of organo. Use it just like you'd use the package. (Can you tell I'm not a measurer? ;-)

If you google GFCF diet, you can find ingredient lists that have hints for avoiding hidden gluten.

Thai Kitchen coconut milk, curry paste and fish sauce are gluten free, and they also have several other products that would work for your celiac family members.

Hope it helps!

Lisa

right in with your crowd since I'm a gluten-free former vegetarian (now eat chicken) that's also a diabetic. I eat:

Gluten-free pasta with sauce (I think tinkyada is the best one)

Tacos with pinto beans, cheese & vegetables or beef for the people who want it.

Vegetarian chili (no packaged spices)

Grilled chicken or fish or portabella mushrooms

Cold gf pasta salad (I use balsamic vinegar for the dressing) with garbanzo beans

Lots of vegetables (kale, spinach salad, raw carrots)

Hummus (homemade or check your labels carefully)

I also have some recipes for gluten-free muffins using buckwheat (does not contain gluten) & millet flours if you're interested. Lunch could just be a brown rice or corn wrap with vegetables & beans or cheese.

Hope this helps.

Karen