Menu

Anyone do Classical Conversations at home only

Yep.

I did Cycle 2 in a CC group. The money was way too much for what we were getting out of it, and for the effort it took to get there every week. So, for the past two years, I did Cycle 3 and Cycle 1, respectively, at home. It works beautifully. I do the memory work with them while they are eating breakfast. I put the laptop on the table and let them view the power point for the geography. We use the CDs in the car. It works really, really well. AND it is all done in 15 minutes a day!

Staci

I've not done CC; however, I met with the director in our area to discuss being a mentor - so I'm familiar with the program. I don't see why you couldn't buy the memory cd and the cd that has the printables and do this by yourself (or with a few friends). In fact, I've thought about buying the audio cd just to listen to for fun as a reinforcement to what we're learning.

I've not done CC; however, I met with the director in our area to discuss being a mentor - so I'm familiar with the program. I don't see why you couldn't buy the memory cd and the cd that has the printables and do this by yourself (or with a few friends). In fact, I've thought about buying the audio cd just to listen to for fun as a reinforcement to what we're learning.

What is a mentor in CC?

I am thinking about getting the Foudations and Essentials guide to just follow at home. Anyone do this?? I just cannot come up with the money to pay tuition this year and buy the materials needed!!!

Any thoughts would be great.

We did Foundations for two years, and I was a Foundations and Challenge Director.

Foundations would be easier to do alone than Essentials. The EEL guide is written to be used in class and is somewhat odd to use without the training that CC provides. It could be done, and you can definitely do the wriiting (IEW theme-based books) as easily on your own.

There was a long thread recently about doing the Foundations memory work (or other alternatives) at home. You might find some more help there, especially in deciding what resources would be helpful.

I am very interested in reading any replies. We are moving to Alabama as soon as we sell our house and I can not afford to pay the fees for both states. It's a shame you can not prorate or transfer your fees. :(

When are you moving? I'd talk to my Director... perhaps she can find another family. In the past, for something like this.. I've found a way to refund most of the money... Also, remember that you'll be "paid up" as far as access to the C3 for only the $6 a month (or so) .... And.. perhaps there's a way to get in the new campus... for the last bit....

I'm a bit more flexible than most... and I'd be happy to work with you! Too bad you're not moving over here!

Anyway, my Daddy says "It never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is they say 'No'."

:)

When are you moving? I'd talk to my Director... perhaps she can find another family. In the past, for something like this.. I've found a way to refund most of the money... Also, remember that you'll be "paid up" as far as access to the C3 for only the $6 a month (or so) .... And.. perhaps there's a way to get in the new campus... for the last bit....

I'm a bit more flexible than most... and I'd be happy to work with you! Too bad you're not moving over here!

Anyway, my Daddy says "It never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is they say 'No'."

:)

I will definitely ask around! The problem is that we don't know exactly when we are moving. :( My husband is PCSing July 26th and living in our camper until our house sells. The girls and I don't get to join him until we sell the house. We are hoping it is soon but no one knows in this market. So, I could be in Florida for a month or the better part of a year.

If I wanted to do CC "light" with a 6 and 14 year old, what would I do? Is it possible to just buy the VP Flashcards and memorize the timeline by using the flashcards each day? Or is there more to it?

That is exactly what they do with the VP cards. CC does 8 per week until they are through, then the U.S. Presidents in order. Each year, you review them again.

IMHO... I think the three valuable parts of the Foundations memory work are the timeline, the math, and the Latin for year 1 and 2 (conjugations and declensions.) If you just did those over a few years, with some poetry added in, it would be a great base of memory work for young dc.