Menu

"what is truth" Pilate

Guest rubilynne4

I understood that you didn't share that viewpoint. Yes, your pp demonstrated that clearly.

I also said in my pp that I understood your point of view and I thought that was obvious from the pp before that.

However, it sounded to me in that post as if you implied that was because you were a "practical person" and that a practical person would not trouble herself much about absolute truth or organized religion. I'm a "practical person" who holds a different opinion on absolute truths and the value of organized religion.

I think it is wise to give people the benefit of the doubt when they appear to be claiming something outrageous. I also think it is best to take into account a person's previous posts on the topic when making up your mind about their intent.

It's not just that those who see more absolute truths practice religion--it's that those who practice religion often discover more absolute truths.

I don't imagine that would surprise anyone; it is to be expected, I think.

That's how I see it. I know you don't share my views-- at least not at the present time.;)

To keep conversation pleasant, I'm going to assume you didn't mean that the way I heard it.

Rosie

Guest rubilynne4

To keep conversation pleasant, I'm going to assume you didn't mean that the way I heard it.
i think she was jokingly saying you might change your mind about some of your views. is that offensive? not trying to be snarky at all. just wondering. if someone of a different pov said that to me i would think they were joking. and who knows they might say something that would cause me to change my pov. for me this has been known to happen, on small, as well as big matters. Edited by rubilynne4

i think she was jokingly saying you might change your mind about some of your views. is that offensive? not trying to be snarky at all. just wondering. if someone of a different pov said that to me i would think they were joking. and who knows they might say something that would cause me to change my pov. for me this has been known to happen, on small, as well as big matters.

Thank you for the suggestion of a joke. I'm humour impaired so I don't always think of that. The rest I'll answer that in a pm :)

Rosie

I would love to hear your opinion - it would be very interesting to hear how that would be answered from several points of view. If you do not want to post it on the list you are welcome to pm me... But, I think it would just make a deeper discussion on the thread. :lurk5:

I can definitely give an answer to her question but it would be a MAJOR thread hijack. If you are TRULY interested in an answer feel free to PM me. Wouldn't want to proselytize someone who isn't interested, ya know? ;)

Thank you for the suggestion of a joke. I'm humour impaired so I don't always think of that. The rest I'll answer that in a pm :)

Rosie

Lol, Rosie, you are humour impaired? You have one of the funniest, driest senses of humour I have come across. You are adorable.

OK, so I am not following the conversation closely and perhaps you didnt get a joke, but even just saying you are humour impaired is funny!

I would love to hear your opinion - it would be very interesting to hear how that would be answered from several points of view. If you do not want to post it on the list you are welcome to pm me... But, I think it would just make a deeper discussion on the thread. :lurk5:

This is the kind of thing that can start a very heated discussion (BTDT) but a good starting point for anyone interested is Romans 1:20.

The best and simplest explanation I've heard in a long time about finding the truth about the truth :-) is a lecture by Peter Kreeft, famous author and prof at Boston College

Divine Truth—The Heart's Deepest Longing

Explores the nature of self, subjective truth, objective truth and Christ as the Truth

P.S. If there would be more than one truth, there wouldn't be One God.