Menu

To all of you cake decorators...

Serious ones--not the ones that specialize in 'Wilton'...

BTW the Wilton icing products taste terrible!

A good cake decorating supply store will have the whipped cream icing mix in their refrigerator/freezer section. They usually come in a carton similar to a qt of milk.. just whip it up (maybe add a bit more vanilla...) and you have the whipped icing that you see at the bakeries. MOST bakeries do not make this icing from scratch (sometimes the homemade stuff separates)...

Also know that whipped cream icing will dry out a cake--so either crumb coat with a THIN coat of buttercream first--or make sure to ice the cake within a few hours of serving it.

I don't like buttercream either... at least not the type that comes from a supermarket. I usually just frost cakes with a stabilized whipped cream (or even just regular whipped cream if it'll go in the fridge and be eaten soon). OR... I use one of the "Cake Bible" recipes - neoclassic buttercream is delicious. http://www.starchefs.com/chefs/RBeranbaum/html/neoclassic_r_beranbaum.shtml

I think the Bettercreme tastes great. We actually get it prewhipped at work but I have to buy it in liquid state and it's a little more trouble to get it to the right consistency. I keep a carton or two in my freezer and can whip up a cake in a jiffy.

It's good for a filling, too, and can be used as a base to add fruit. Makes a nice stable substitute for whipped cream but it's much sweeter.

Don't read the ingredient label- just enjoy the taste.