Menu

What are your favorite Kindle books?

Dh got me a Kindle for my birthday. I want to load it up while I'm in town (no wireless here). Any suggestions?

No titles per se, but I will say this about my experience with my Kindle. Reference and non-fiction books (like TWTM and TWEM) are not books I like on my Kindle. I can't flip pages and bounce around like I like to do with books of this sort. The kids that work best for me on a Kindle are fiction, biography - stuff that you begin at the beginning, go to the end, and then stop.

I have TWTM and TWEM on my Kindle, as well as other reference books, for when I'm overseas. But when I can, I like regular books - and as a result have checked them out of the library more than once for reference purposes. :blush:

Just my two cents, though.

Reference and non-fiction books (like TWTM and TWEM) are not books I like on my Kindle. I can't flip pages and bounce around like I like to do with books of this sort. The kids that work best for me on a Kindle are fiction, biography - stuff that you begin at the beginning, go to the end, and then stop.

Thanks, that's helpful. Someone else said the same thing on a blog I was reading. It's good to know.

I've been loading up on classics mostly free or in the $1 - $4 range. My fave so far has been a complete Sherlock Holmes collection for a few bucks. Be careful with classics and collections to make sure they have linked table of contents, otherwise they are impossible to navigate. I've purchased Geurber, Henty, Chesterton, Herodotus, Aristotle, Thucydides, Tolstoy, etc... all for very reasonable cost. I'm a big sci fi/fantasy reader, so that is where I spend most of my money, along with books about Autism and the occasional best seller. As long as you get a cellular signal you should be ok - I get a better signal on my Kindle than my cell phone. Have fun and happy reading!!

I've been loading up on classics mostly free or in the $1 - $4 range. My fave so far has been a complete Sherlock Holmes collection for a few bucks. Be careful with classics and collections to make sure they have linked table of contents, otherwise they are impossible to navigate. I've purchased Geurber, Henty, Chesterton, Herodotus, Aristotle, Thucydides, Tolstoy, etc... all for very reasonable cost. I'm a big sci fi/fantasy reader, so that is where I spend most of my money, along with books about Autism and the occasional best seller. As long as you get a cellular signal you should be ok - I get a better signal on my Kindle than my cell phone. Have fun and happy reading!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

No cellular here. I have to drive 20 minutes before I can get anything to download. :glare:

If you read Sci-fi/fantasy, go to http://www.baen.com/library/. Many of the Baen authors have made books off their backlists available for free download for Kindle (although if you want to use whispernet you'll have to pay Amazon's transfer fee). I've gotten a lot of great books that way.

In addition, http://www.munseys.com/ has some great old Sci-fi from the pulp era available for download. I also downloaded the complete set of Oz books there for my DD.

Well my favorites in the last few months have been:

The Help

The Book Thief

The Thirteenth Tale

All 4 Twilight books

Same Kind of Different as Me

Do hard Things

Don't Waste Your Life

Thanks. I loved The Help and Don't Waste Your Life, too. I added Book Thief, Thirteenth Tale and Same Kind of Different as Me to my wish list.