Menu

Looking for new read alouds on CD/tape

*AM*

My 8 yo dd dictated this post to me after I asked her for suggestions.

My Father's Dragon, Famously Funny narrated by Jim Weiss, Tall Tales (also Jim Weiss), Treasury of Wisdom (Jim Weiss), basically everything my 8 yo is going to tell me is by Jim Weiss! Arabian Nights narrated by Jim Weiss. The next ones aren't actually narrated by Jim Weiss. The House Above the Trees, Winnie the Pooh, Beatrix Potter (my 8 yo even memorized some of her poems), Stories to Stir the Imagination (we have a couple of these), Barefoot Books Grandmother Tales (wonderful!).

Well, Beatrix Potter was a bust as an audiobook for my boys, even though they love the book when I read it outloud. I think they need to hear more action when it is on tape. They love anything by Jim Weiss. In particular, the Giants one, Tell Me a Story, Animal Tales, the Fairy Tale one, anything with lots of action!

Does anyone have some favorites they would like to share?

I am looking for 4-6 year old age range.

Many thanks!

Another vote for Jim Weiss

Classical Kids stories about composers (I once had a long conversation about the characters in Magic Flute, with a university orchestra conductor, based solely on my listening to the Mozart's Magic Journey tape. DH, who knew that I'd never seen Magic Flute, was at the other end of the table, trying not to laugh.)

Odds Bodkin (Paul Bunyan is a favorite)

Little Bear ready by Sigourney Weaver

Winnie the Pooh (I like the Charles Kuralt version, but I don't think it's available anymore. What whatever the version, as long as it is unabridged. The language is so rich.)

Frog and Toad (This is actually read by Arnold Lobel, which I think is very cool.)

I also like the unabridged Chronicles of Narnia from BBC. Each book is read by a different British actor.

I also wouldn't underestimate the attraction of the SOTW audio books read by Jim Weiss. They are good enough that my kids used to listen to them at breakfast just for fun (Hooray for SWB and Jim Weiss).

I was going to suggest almost everything Sebastian said.

Jim Weiss is great, including SOTW.

I have never met a kid who didn't like the Classical Kids series.

We are listening to the Chronicles of Narnia right now.

Charlotte's Web (read by E.B. White himself)

James and the Giant Peach

Winnie the Pooh (I hated reading these aloud, so I was so happy to have the audiobook.)