Menu

Washed Stones

My daughter just washed my (very seasoned) cooking stones -- can you hear me scream?! Any tips on how to save them???

They're fine! They don't need saving. I wash my well-seasoned stone all the time with no problem. At the very worst, it will be less well seasoned than it was. You would know because it would be lighter color, or have scratches or something. If it's still dark brown, it's fine. Just oil it lightly next time you use it, or cook something oily on it, and it will be like it was before.

It's a common misconception that washing a stone will ruin it somehow. This isn't accurate. It's still safe to use, it just might not get that wonderful non-stick surface we love. I've known a person who always scrubbed her stones because she didn't like the brown seasoned color. It looked "dirty" to her. Yet, her stones still worked fine, didn't absorb odors, and (as long as she oiled them lightly) released food just fine.

Relax. And, make amends with your daughter. She was only trying to help, and she didn't hurt anything! :D