Menu

Homeschool teens that work

In Tennessee the teen has to provide the employer with a document that gives permission for the teen to work during traditional school hours. Our umbrella school provided this document for us. Beyond that, homeschoolers are subject to all the labor laws that other kids are subject to.

The total number of hours a student is allowed to work remain the same, whether homeschooled or enrolled in a public/private school. He has to get working papers; just call the main office of your local high school. They need a copy of the birth certificate and of the SS card.

Because a homeschooled child's school hours can be different than the others, they can work mornings or afternoons while the other kids are at school. Some employers are nervous about this. and won't schedule a homeschooler before 3 PM on a school day. But my oldest worked at a local veterinarian's office from 8 to Noon 3 or 4 mornings a week when he was in 10th grade. My third dc works at our local library 4 afternoons a week from 1 to 4 PM; this is her second year there. (And she replaced a homeschooled boy whose hours were pretty much the same.)

HTH!

Because a homeschooled child's school hours can be different than the others, they can work mornings or afternoons while the other kids are at school.

HTH!

actually, this can vary by state. GA law specifically states that a homeschooled student may not work during public school hours. also, to get a work permit, the child needs a signature on a form from a local school official or the County's Superintendent's office.

actually, this can vary by state. GA law specifically states that a homeschooled student may not work during public school hours. also, to get a work permit, the child needs a signature on a form from a local school official or the County's Superintendent's office.

Yep. It all varies state to state about as much as homeschool laws do.

In her post, Karen specifically asked about NY; my post addressed that via "here in NY" in my post title.