Menu

adapted Episcopal or Catholic curriculum

My child with developmental disabilities will be in a Sunday School class that covers sacraments, communion, vestments and a few other things. We are Episcopal. Most of this material is extremely similar in the Catholic Church, so that's why I included that. Is anyone familiar with such curriculum which has been adapted for children with developmental disabilities.

I would think that you could work with her. If you know what they're going to be covering in class, maybe you could work with her on learning those things during the week, so she's already prepared for class. Would be neat if she knew an answer in class that the others didn't. :)

Maybe you could talk with your pastor and see if he'd give both of you a private "class" after your service. He could show her the items used and it might make it easier for her to remember. Again, I'd be inclined to do this before the actual class.

I used to teach a class to 4, 5 and 6 year olds on the Holy Eucharist in the Episcopal Church. This is the book I used - A Child's Guide to the Holy Eucharist - Rite II - here is a link - http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Guide-Holy-Eucharist-Rite/dp/0819218022

All the children really enjoyed the class. I taught it for 6 years. I think this book might be what you are looking for.

We were in a similar situation and I hope I can give you some encouragement! My delayed child really "got" the classes beyond my expectation. I personally believe it has something to do with the fact that the sacraments are directed at more than our intelligence.. they reach to our souls and hearts. I am constantly surprised at the insight and depth my son understands the faith (even though this is all relatively new to him). I also think it is because there is more to look at in a liturgical church as well; the continuity and visuals make sense to my ds.

I do encourage you to talk to the teacher before hand, to explain the situation. We did, just to make sure ds was not called on to read out loud (for example).

Disclosure: I'm not Episc. or Catholic, but hey! That's never stopped me from giving my opinion! :lol: (we're Eastern Orthodox)

That sounds like Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. If it is, it's a Montessori program so it adapts to a wide range of abilities. My oldest did that class when he was 5 and dd did it when she was 3. I stayed with her because she was afraid to stay by herself for the first couple of months. There were different stations after a brief presentation, so your dd can choose the activities she likes.