Menu

Any PA homeschoolers around?

As you guys know, the compulsory attendance age here in PA is 8. Now, this is still a ways off as my son hasn't even turned 5 yet, but I just want to clarify a couple of things!

When he does have his eighth birthday, it will be in early November.

So does that mean I won't have to file an affidavit until the following August, just a few months before he turns 9? And I won't have to submit a portfolio for him until the end of THAT school year, after he's already turned 9?

If so, that leads me to my next question.

What if when I first register him at that point, he's in 4th grade for all intents and purposes here at home? That may well be the case since I use Oak Meadow which is much more laid back in the early years, it's very hands on and story and nature and art based etc, so we plan to start it a year sooner than he would have started public school Kindergarten.

So if he's in fourth grade at the point where I first have to register him as a homeschooled student....

....what happens about the mandatory third grade standardized testing requirements?

Do we get to legally just skip it altogether since he wouldn't have been of compulsory school age at the time he was doing third grade level work, and I get to wait til 5th grade to submit test scores?

Or do I have to go by the fact that while I have him in fourth grade, they would have had him in third grade that year due to his age if he were in public school?

I hope this made sense and didn't sound too confusing. Like I said, I know it's a ways off but I was just thinking and wondering about it and thought I'd try to clarify so I have it straight in my own mind.

Thanks! :)

You are correct, he will be nearly 9 before you have to submit anything to the district. As for grade level, that is totally your call. I have heard of districts making some assumptions about grade level based on age, but the parent ultimately decides. My only thought is that they might hassle you about not submitting a standardized test result if they assume he is 3rd and you consider him 4th. In that case, you would just have to let them know that they'll be seeing the 5th grade results the next year.

My favorite soap box: grade level.:D

Regardless of when you have to begin reporting to PA, IMHO--my very strong HO--you keep your ds *on paper* the grade he would be in if he were in school. The cut-off date in PA is September 1; if he were going to school, he would start when he was 6 and have his 7th bday in November.

When you file your affidavit for the first time, your ds would be entering third grade if he were in school. According to this wonderful PA web site, yes, he would need to be tested at the end of the school year.

HOWEVER, if you want to teach him at the fourth grade level at home, go right ahead. In some states, such as California, he would be in fourth grade, and if he can do the work, why not? See, this is an advantage for him: he'll be working a grade level above many children his age, and when he takes the third grade-level standardized test (yes, IMHO you should get third grade and not fourth), his scores should be amazing. :)

Regardless of when you have to begin reporting to PA, IMHO--my very strong HO--you keep your ds *on paper* the grade he would be in if he were in school. The cut-off date in PA is September 1; if he were going to school, he would start when he was 6 and have his 7th bday in November.

When you file your affidavit for the first time, your ds would be entering third grade if he were in school. According to this wonderful PA web site, yes, he would need to be tested at the end of the school year.

HOWEVER, if you want to teach him at the fourth grade level at home, go right ahead. In some states, such as California, he would be in fourth grade, and if he can do the work, why not? See, this is an advantage for him: he'll be working a grade level above many children his age, and when he takes the third grade-level standardized test (yes, IMHO you should get third grade and not fourth), his scores should be amazing. :)

Actually, there is no state cut-off -- the districts decide individually in PA. In my district, for example, the date is October 1st. By law a district can make the age for entering K as young as 4 years, and many districts have all sorts of exemptions that do allow 4-year-olds to enter kindergarten. Because of the provision allowing homeschoolers to participate in extracurricular activities, there may very well be good reasons for students to be the same grade on paperwork that they are at home. While it may make sense to use the lower grade for sports, using the grade that reflects academic level might allow a student to participate in other extracurriculars.

Ellie, I love your new picture!! And what a beautiful grandbaby!!

Blessings,

Lisa

My oldest has a Sept birthday. This past year was the first year we registered her in PA - she was 9 when the school year started, and started in 4th grade. We did not have to worry about 3rd grade testing.

So you would have just submitted your portfolio recently, right? I'm very curious to know if they are going to try to ask you about that third grade testing, or if they are just going to let it go and wait for fifth! Let me know if they do end up saying anything to you about that!

Of course, not all districts will respond the same way to a given situation anyway as we all know- yours might be fine and mine would likely be the PITA's who would demand the test results lol.

Thanks for all of these responses, everyone! I still have some time to think on the standardized test thing, try to find out other peoples' experiences, etc. Maybe I'll even run it by the PDE and see what they have to say off the record.

Age of the child needs to be listed however grade level does not(you can still mark the grade level if you want but the PDE states you do NOT have to mark grade level). I only list the age.

As for the 3rd grade testing, if it is not at the time of turning in the portfolio I did not turn it in.