Menu

Passports ?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html

Has the forms you can fill out online and print to take with you. There is also information about times and costs and what forms and documentation, like certified birth certificates, you will need. Also, kids under a certain age need both parents to sign in person or an official letter from the other parent. All of the info is on the site.

Have fun! (on the trip, dealing with the government is never fun :001_smile:)

At the post offices here you have to call to make a passport appointment, only certain post offices can accept and process the applications.

Ours took about 5 weeks to process and we did have to have both parents there to sign the applications for the kids.

A cruise to the Bahamas sounds wonderful!

We are going to the Bahamas on a cruise in November would someone please tell me how much passports are and how to go about applying for them? Thanks Susan

Susan, We JUST received our passports. We've started the process in May and received them in June. Not all post office locations are passport offices, so you'll need to check. In our city, some are walk in with looooong wait times "usually" and other locations (not many) have appts. We scheduled our appt and it was FAST!

You will need to have your documents and necessary items in advance of your appt.

1. Passport pictures (walmart, walgreens, etc)

2. Cash money

3. Drivers license

4. Application form completed

5. Birth certificate

The birth certificate MUST be from VITAL RECORDS from your home state/county! It ***MUST**** have a "raised seal/stamp" to be accepted for passports. If you do not have this it will take additional time and cost more money to send away for them. Time/price varies. My dh and I have birth certificates from vital records, but no raised seal so they were not accepted. We jumped through hoops to get our in time. HTH. Sheryl <><

Edited by sheryl

My dd just applied for her passport. I was floored that the PO charged us .50 to copy her DL. Seriously??? They're making $25 on the deal and can't make 2 photocopies??? Also, you must have a check, cash or debit card for the $75 fee that goes to the processing office.

Get your pictures taken somewhere else. They're $4.95 at Sam's. The PO charges $15! If they run a sheet of 6, ask for the whole sheet. The gal at our PO studied the pictures intently and selected two that had exactly the same shading. She was very insistent that they had to be identical.

DD leaves for Rome in 6 weeks. We're praying her passport arrives in time!

I believe that if you are entering by sea, that you just need a passport card which is cheaper than the standard passport book. All the application stuff remains the same.

Passport cards are most useful for those travel across the Mexican or Canadian borders frequently. In my opinion they are not cost effective for other travelers, unless you're certain that you won't be doing any non-land international travel in the next 10 years.

To the OP, if it is a closed loop cruise, meaning that it begins and ends in the same US port, and travels between the US and the Caribbean, Bermuda, Mexico, or Canada, you don't need a passport at all. You can travel on driver's licenses and birth certificates, or a passport card.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, if for some reason you need to return to the US via plane, or if the ship for some reason needs to change its itinerary and return to a different port, it'll be a huge hassle. Your passport card, license, and birth certificate would not be adequate documentation for re-entering the country. You'd be delayed significantly, which could be both expensive and stressful.

On our cruise to Bermuda last week, a family had to disembark in Bermuda just before the ship left Bermuda because their son was having a suspected asthma attack, and the ship's doctor was not comfortable with him remaining aboard. The child was released from the hospital that evening, and the staff helped them to find a hotel. They flew home a day or two later, but if they hadn't had passports, they'd have been delayed further while waiting for authorization to return by air.

Oh, and this story is also an example of why it is important to purchase travel insurance, as travel insurance will cover the cost of return flights, hotels, medical expenses not covered by insurance, etc. If you don't have a preferred travel insurance carrier, contact Trip Insurance Store for quotes and recommendations. I'm rarely effusive about businesses, but they are fantastic.

Have a great time on your cruise!

Edited by jplain

Susan, We JUST received our passports. We've started the process in May and received them in June. Not all post office locations are passport offices, so you'll need to check. In our city, some are walk in with looooong wait times "usually" and other locations (not many) have appts. We scheduled our appt and it was FAST!

You will need to have your documents and necessary items in advance of your appt.

1. Passport pictures (walmart, walgreens, etc)

2. Cash money

3. Drivers license

4. Application form completed

5. Birth certificate

The birth certificate MUST be from VITAL RECORDS from your home state/county! It ***MUST**** have a "raised seal/stamp" to be accepted for passports. If you do not have this it will take additional time and cost more money to send away for them. Time/price varies. My dh and I have birth certificates from vital records, but no raised seal so they were not accepted. We jumped through hoops to get our in time. HTH. Sheryl <><

I can add, since we did an application for ds last week (might as well get it done before he leaves for college in case a travel abroad opportunity arises) that the post office will need to send thew birth certificate off with the application - they told us it will be returned by mail. So - if you need to show a birth certificate for anything else, do that before sending it off with the passport app.

Oh, and our postal lady told me that they have heard that the fee will go up - they did not know when or how much. That is another reason to get a passport, if one will be needed, sooner rather than later.