Menu

Where to go after Getting Started with Latin?

jenn-

Latin Prep has great reviews. For a reading style you could try Cambridge. The author of GSWL has a second course, free and online. Linney's Latin Class, and the book is cheap to purchase or available here. This book is also free, but aimed at ~7th grade.

We are just beginning GSWL, but one of these is probably what we will move to, combined with Lingua Latina.

HTH,

Amy

Have you looked at the author's recs? He suggests using this book next: http://www.amazon.com/First-Year-Latin-Walter-Gunnison/dp/0979505127/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276230788&sr=8-3. From the description, it's not religious in nature. (The stated purpose is to prepare students to read Caesar's Gallic Wars.) Linney even has free lectures to go with the book here: http://www.linneyslatinclass.com/index.php.

Latin Prep is also a good option. :)

ETA: Should've read all of the replies carefully. mtcougar832 already mentioned this. Oops!

Edited by yslek
oops!

Thank you for the suggestions. I did not even realize he had a follow up suggestion. Has anyone had experience with First Year Latin, not using his lectures? I noticed he is only halfway through them right now.

ETA: Where does one order Latin Prep? I look on Amazon and there appears to be 3 or 4 different things that go along with it (several of which are out of stock).

Edited by jenn-

We used Latin Prep. The problem I had with LP is that there were no assessments, so I had to write my own, which I didn't like. So we switched to Cambridge, which has a completely different philosophy, but with my son's background in Latin grammar, it's fine. And the teacher's materials (including assessments) are complete.

I am doing some First Year Latin, but I'm still using the lectures. He is planning to have an answer key available (another teacher is helping I think). I believe with an answer key you would be fine. The nice thing about Linney is he tells you not to worry about XX in the lesson, that it will be explained later.

I don't know if that helps you, LOL!

Amy