Menu

What to use with Singapore

hmschooln

What are you hoping to gain by adding another program? I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm just curious. We have always supplemented Singapore with Miquon, but I was thinking of doing only Singapore this year.

In the case of MEP, it adds a good deal of problems that require reasoning, logic and critical thinking, and the way it presents concepts is complimentary with Singapore, but different enough to hit things from another angle.

MEP is fun. And mentally challenging in a way that the "core" (textbook/workbook) Singapore books are generally not, and are more like the IP books in that respect, although it is very different in other ways.

The MEP lesson plans are filled with good teaching ideas. it is a very smart program that compliments Singapore and Miquon quite nicely.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

In the case of MEP, it adds a good deal of problems that require reasoning, logic and critical thinking, and the way it presents concepts is complimentary with Singapore, but different enough to hit things from another angle.

MEP is fun. And mentally challenging in a way that the "core" (textbook/workbook) Singapore books are generally not, are are more like the IP books in that respect, although it is very different in other ways.

The MEP lesson plans are filled with good teaching ideas. it is a very smart program that compliments Singapore and Miquon quite nicely.

Bill

You know, I always love reading your answers to Math questions. You can tell you love Math, and following your advice in the past has helped me to find a love for Math that I thought my former Math teachers had shot, burned, and buried in and unmarked grave in the middle of the nowhere.

Danielle

I like to use two different programs because they can complement each other, teach concepts differently, or might include something the other left out altogether. The dc aren't just learning the skills from one programs theories on mathmatical concepts and I hope gives them a broader range of understanding in mathmatics. By doing two programs ds learns two different ways of looking at math and then is able to combine them and develop his own way of looking at it. Plus it seems like it does the ds good to change it up a couple of times a week and do some from the other. :001_smile:

Thanks. I'll look at MEP. Any others?:001_smile:

Right Start games.

They are a fun and effective way to learn/teach "math facts" without having to resort to things like timed speed-drills. So math remains an enjoyable activity (assuming a child enjoys playing games) rather than one filled with stress and anxiety.

Bill (am I allowed two suggestions? :D)

Yes I'll take as many suggestions as I can get.:001_smile:

Also, does anyone use Singapore all the way? Seems like most only go through 6b? If so why?:confused:

Well that is where the Primary Mathematics series (what we generally mean when we say "Singapore Math") ends. There are several Singapore Math options for the next stage, but as you say many people move on to other math programs after finishing PM.

Why is a good question.

Bill

There are several Singapore Math options for the next stage, but as you say many people move on to other math programs after finishing PM.

Why is a good question.l

I believe it is because the US math sequence after that is different from that of other countries. US home educators seem to be unwilling to take up Sing NEM or Discovering Maths or other series since the progression is different.

In the US, schools focus on Alg 1 in one year, then Geom the next, then Alg 2, then Trig, Calc, etc. In other countries the years after gr 6 cover all these concepts in each year. If you look at yr 7-9 and the GCSE year of MEP, you will see this combination of topics.

I do see some US home educators starting on NEM but most seem to do Lial/Harold/Dolciani/Foerster etc instead.

I believe it is because the US math sequence after that is different from that of other countries. US home educators seem to be unwilling to take up Sing NEM or Discovering Maths or other series since the progression is different.

In the US, schools focus on Alg 1 in one year, then Geom the next, then Alg 2, then Trig, Calc, etc. In other countries the years after gr 6 cover all these concepts in each year. If you look at yr 7-9 and the GCSE year of MEP, you will see this combination of topics.

I do see some US home educators starting on NEM but most seem to do Lial/Harold/Dolciani/Foerster etc instead.

Maybe I should ask this in the high school area, but is there any reason other than that to not look at NEM? I always figured that would be what we would do after 6b. Has anyone gone through all of NEM? Also what for grades 11 and 12?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Okay help me decide what to supplement Singapore with next year. We've always done it with Miquon but we're finishing that this year along with 3B. We want to continue with Singapore, but what to add in? :001_smile:

Thanks.

We're planning to supplement with the Key To... series when we finish up with Miquon. I'm also looking at Hands-On Equations. We'll definitely add LOF.

:001_smile:

Would MEP also be a good complement for someone using Rightstart as their main curriculum?

I think so. That's what we're doing, although DD ended up liking MEP so much better that we totally ditched RS for a while. We are now doing both, so I guess neither is our main curriculum, but rather both. :)

Maybe I should ask this in the high school area, but is there any reason other than that to not look at NEM? I always figured that would be what we would do after 6b. Has anyone gone through all of NEM? Also what for grades 11 and 12?

We're working our way through it. We start book 2 this year. Biggest problem is there is little hand holding for teachers. So you need to be strong in math and teaching math or your child needs to be strong in self teaching and math. Second problem is we finished primary in 5th grade. Thus starting Nem in 6th grade. Even my math bright brilliant math boy who is astounding in math had struggles. We stopped it for awhile just to gel. Third my understanding is that the 4th NEM book is review and test practice, not so much new material. So the standard 4 year high school sequence we have here is dealt with in 3 books from book 1. (my understanding. I may be wrong on that but it doesn't feel that way looking at the first two books ) That's a lot of math.

Even so I still would do the program. We took a break from the NEM series because I was too sick from my pregnancy to help with the math. I put him in Jacob's geometry AND Dolciani (sp?)Algebra. They are easy and he's breezing through them. Though the geometry gave him pause as he can't visualize the figures well in his mind.Nem 1 prepared him well and the algebra is easy and the geometry is cementing concepts learned.

With the next child, I will finish the series in 5th grade, do Algebra and geometry in 6th , and start Nem 1 in 7th. math isn't his thing so the jump from 6b to NEM will be more than he can handle. BUt those two texts will be an easy intro into those subjects and prepare him well to go into NEM 1

With the older one, we will start NEM2 in the fall and use it as well as Algebra book 2 . I'm still casting around for a good basic book for Algebra3/trig/precal and cal to supplement NEM with.

(and yes I did just proclaim that jacob's Geometry and Dolciani Algebra as basic math books! That's how we feel after NEM 1) I know my head may roll after that :lol:

Thank you for all the replys. I'm very relieved to know that other people have used the NEM and it didn't ruin their children.;) Sticking with Singapore is something I'm determined to do.:001_smile:

We do have the Key to books that he can do, I've never looked at the Zaccaro but would love to hear more about them.:001_smile: