Menu

Literature Books for 7th grade

JenniferVA

Do you think that Great Expectations by C. Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities by C. Dickens, Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis would be too hard for a 7th-8th grade book club.

Another homeschool mom I know is trying to offer this class at our co-op, but I'm afraid her choices are a little too hard and her offer to teach will be rejected. I'm on the steering committee that approves/rejects co-op classes. She has been a fantastic teacher for the younger grades this year, so I'd like to work with her on this and give her a better shot. Does anyone have any ideas for a 16 class book list that meets once a week for this age range. Thanks.

BTW, parents would pay tuition for the class, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

She might want to have only ONE Dickens...our local middle school choose to use Christmas Carol but I think Great Expectations would be ok, too. But not more than one. Perhaps another author - Steinbeck's The Red Pony, or Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea...or even Animal Farm (which my 8th grade son LOVED and reread on his own a few times.)

I certainly would do two Dickens books. Great Expectations is an awful bear to try to make it through. We only made it halfway before switching to an illustrated classics version.

Tale of Two Cities is the only Dickens book I've ever enjoyed and it's so much better for high school level that I wouldn't tackle it before then unless one of my kids really wanted to.

Christmas Carol would probably be the best choice for Dickens at this age.

I certainly would do two Dickens books. Great Expectations is an awful bear to try to make it through. We only made it halfway before switching to an illustrated classics version.

I agree. Great Expectations is so *whiny*. I know I did Tale of Two Cities in seventh grade in public school, I think that's pretty typical.