Menu

Note Taking and Outlining for 6-8th Grade

mdmurray

I am planning 6th. grade for my daughter in the fall. In reading TWTM I see the recommendation of Frank Schaffer's Note Taking and Outlining for Grades 6-8. I researching this book I found it on Amazon for $200+ I'm a bit in shock and blown away by that.

Does anyone have a reasonably priced resource for the book (TWTM states $6.99)--that I could deal with.

Or, what about a good replacement that you could recommend?

I have both the Remedia (that one was recommended here and perhaps was in an older edition of WTM) and the Schaeffer one. I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other. I think they get the job done. You can find them at Rainbow Resources. Also, in WTM2009, SWB does a great job illustrating outlining. Have you read that? You might not need anything else. The beginning Outlining book by Remedia is very simple. We did it all orally and in a few weeks.

I have both the Remedia (that one was recommended here and perhaps was in an older edition of WTM) and the Schaeffer one. I honestly can't say I prefer one over the other. I think they get the job done. You can find them at Rainbow Resources. Also, in WTM2009, SWB does a great job illustrating outlining. Have you read that? You might not need anything else. The beginning Outlining book by Remedia is very simple. We did it all orally and in a few weeks.

:iagree: with this entire post.

The Frank Schaffer book is recommended in the new TWTM. It is 48 pages and I think you will be sorely disappointed if you pay $20. We got about half way through and decided to use SWB's instructions from her book. I copied the pages, highlighted the specific points and now leave it for reference in my son's clipboard. He thinks SWB's directions were much better than the Schaffer book.

Contents of the Schaffer book: good listening habits, key words, main idea, supporting details, topic, topic sentence, facts and opinions, categorizing, giving directions, memory recall, the various types of note taking and mapping, short-hand, quotes, paraphrasing, and then your standard outlining. The note taking info is readily available for free on the internet.

However, if you still feel compelled to buy the book I know where you can get a pristine copy for cheap.:D:D

I have the following outlining and notetaking books:

Thirty Lessons in Outlining: First Level

Curriculum Associates, Inc.

ISBN 0891873708

found on www.paperbackswap.com

Note Taking & Outlining: Middle School Collection

Steck-Vaughn School Supply SV-2926-2

ISBN 0739829262

bought on www.ebay.com

paid $8.75 shipped

Note Taking (Study SKills Activity Book)

Mark Twain Media Publishing Company CD-1597

ISBN 1580372538

found on www.paperbackswap.com

Beginning Outlining

Remedia Publications REM1134A

ISBN none

I bought mine on http://www.christianbook.com/

paid $6.99

Outlining

Remedia Publications REM134

ISBN none

I bought mine on http://www.christianbook.com/

paid $7.99

I also know of this one:

Study Skills Strategies: Outlining

Walch Education

www.rainbowresource.com and www.christianbook.com both carry it.

Edited by nestof3

• 8 months later...

" Also, in WTM2009, SWB does a great job illustrating outlining. Have you read that? You might not need anything else. The beginning Outlining book by Remedia is very simple. We did it all orally and in a few weeks. "

hi,

Have a question, I have WTM, the new edition, still reading it, where is the outling you are referring to?

And I would like to hear more pros/cons on the frank schaffer outlining the easy way vs the outlining books by Remedia.

thanks!