Menu

NY Times - Classical Education Opinion Article

I've never heard of Leigh Bortins, but she seems to be quoting directly from the WTM. :lol:

And I really liked this quote: Put's everything into perspective.

"Begin with “a well conceived, coherent, sequential curriculum,” and then “adjust other parts of the education system to support the goals of learning.” This will produce a “foundation of knowledge and skills that grows stronger each year.” Forget about the latest fad and quick-fix, and buckle down to the time-honored, traditional “study and practice of the liberal arts and sciences: history, literature, geography, the sciences, civics mathematics, the arts and foreign languages.”

In short, get knowledgeable and well-trained teachers, equip them with a carefully calibrated curriculum and a syllabus filled with challenging texts and materials, and put them in a room with students who are told where they are going and how they are going to get there."

Of course, I believe that a knowledgeable and well-trained teacher could encompass homeschool parents.

Just thought I'd share.

Edited by jadedone80

I've never heard of Leigh Bortins, but she seems to be quoting directly from the WTM.

She started Classical Conversations, a tutorial program for homeschoolers. She echoes a lot of what Douglas Wilson, Andrew Kern, SWB, etc. write.

She has a new book out about the grammar stage. Unfortunately, by reviewing only that, the author of the article gave an impression that classical education is all about memorizing a bunch of facts. The real heart of classical is putting together the three skills of the trivium.